DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

floats for mavic

NH Phantom

Reactions
I live on a pond and I'm always flying over water. Now that dji refresh covers water damage, I was wondering if anyone has come up with a simple float that will keep the craft at the surface for recovery. Not looking to land on water. Just keep it from sinking in case it crashes.

Last edited:
something like that getterback would be great. need something that would work in about 3-4 ft of water.

Doing a little research I found some water soluble tape. suppose to dissolve in 30 seconds. would be easy to tape a small keychain type float and line on the mavic. Going to give it a try. $40 for 4 rolls. If it works I'll Pass some on to members. If not I'll send it back

Reactions: Mike_Flys
OK got the dissolving tape from amazon. stuff works great. dissolves in about 30 seconds. Even multiple layers dissolve in less than a minute. Going to make a spool type float to try out. I needed this for shallow water and the getterback needs 5 feet or more water to work.

Seen these
9f4c5da061c7382324a9d8b58a3328e1.jpg

DJI Mavic pro SNOW WATER MOD protector BLACK EDITION DRONE ON WATER OR SNOW:Amazon

it would be cool to land on water but I dont think I would the only reason I would use them is to prevent drone lost under water

Been looking for something that will handle waves, I do quite a bit of flying over the Great Lakes filming sailboats. Need to handle 10 kts wind and 1-2' waves. Been trying to figure out something with carbon fibre rods and styrofoam balls. Wanted the balls further outboard to add stability and avoid prop wash to improve flight time. Problem is I get an oscillation.
If anyone has any ideas or pics of home made units I would love to see.

I live in Lake County Fl and have been flying on and off the water for nearly 1 year with the float kit I designed and build. It's very stable in the air, and on the water with boat wake, and the small waves we get on our lakes.

Not sure if it works for what you need but I have tons of R&D into it, nearly 50 years of designing and flying model aircraft and a few 3d printers and would gladly help you work out what you need if you like.

My first version used Styrofoam floats. My latest version has collapsible floats to take up less space in the case
Split-the-sky.jpg

495700438.jpg

Been looking for something that will handle waves, I do quite a bit of flying over the Great Lakes filming sailboats. Need to handle 10 kts wind and 1-2' waves. Been trying to figure out something with carbon fibre rods and styrofoam balls. Wanted the balls further outboard to add stability and avoid prop wash to improve flight time. Problem is I get an oscillation.
If anyone has any ideas or pics of home made units I would love to see.

Is you oscillation during level flight/hover or during a specific maneuver?
The farther out from the center of gravity you place an object the more negative affect it will have on flight stability.
So you have to find a sweat spot, a balance.
What is the concern with putting them below the props? Copters fly off the higher pressure just below the props vs the lower pressure just above the props. They do not push air to the ground for lift and balls just below so objects several centimeters below will have minimal if any affect of lift.

Mike

I like the collapsible aspect, that would open up opportunities when mtn biking. Both versions appear to be directly in the prop wash, wondering what the loss in flight time would be, also how much more prone to crosswinds/gusts is it?
My "design" consists or an x configuration of carbon fibre rods that extend out past the props with styrofoam balls on them.
Problem is I get a vibration/oscillation. Need to make it more rigid, it is very stable in 2' waves.
Did you look at any of the r/c helicopter pontoon type floats like the helimax?

Replied before I saw your last post. Yes the oscillation happens at a variety of times during a flight. Skimping on reinforcement to keep weight down.

Replied before I saw your last post. Yes the oscillation happens at a variety of times during a flight. Skimping on reinforcement to keep weight down.

Being under the props several centimeters doesn't really affect flight time. The weight of course does.
Are your rods mounted directly to the body? What size foam balls are you using? I would be concerned it doesn't get the camera high enough off the water.
If you have carbon fiber rods already mounted have you tried putting the floats in closer to the drone under the props?

I like the collapsible aspect, that would open up opportunities when mtn biking. Both versions appear to be directly in the prop wash, wondering what the loss in flight time would be, also how much more prone to crosswinds/gusts is it?
My "design" consists or an x configuration of carbon fibre rods that extend out past the props with styrofoam balls on them.
Problem is I get a vibration/oscillation. Need to make it more rigid, it is very stable in 2' waves.

Fixed pitch multi-rotors like ours hold position, and fly by varying rpms of the individual props.
Higher RPM more lift for that prop, lower rpm less lift for that prop.

Basically these thing fly by oscillation. The farther you move your floats from the center of gravity the more this will be multiplied, even to the point that the copter will have a hard time of controlling it.

Mike

I print the collapsible floats out of Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU). I call them Squishy Floats.

Last edited:
495700351.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61