DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly Aways, Lost of Control, etc., etc..

AgentOrange2015

Reactions
Long before the Mavic came out, I was flying the Phantom 2 and it could definitely do a fly away and that was due to improper IMU settings, which, once corrected, solved the fly away problem. The sad thing is that it took many of the Phantom Pilots to figure out what the problem was. Next came the Phantom 3's, first was the Standard and then finally ending up with the Phantom 4. The one thing that they all had in common was to set the home point, either to hover or to land. This simple command cost me a Phantom Standard when it landed in the lake. I could not blame anyone, it was my own fault for not changing the action of the Phantom when it lost signal. It landed like it was suppose to, I had failed to change the hovering or landing and return home, which I thought it was supposed to do automatically.
The absolute most important thing to do is set up a "Pre-Flight" checklist, just like real aircraft pilots are required to do with their respective aircraft. Next is to do a short mini-flight of sorts. This means to power up your aircraft, especially in a new area for the Drone, power up and let it hover in place for a few minutes to make sure that it does not drift. If your Mavic or Phantom begins to drift and not hold it's position even though you have not touched the control sticks, then you need to land and check your settings. Be "absolutely sure" that your return to home setting is your point of take off. I am not going to get into TapFly, and all the other auto settings that Mavic's and Phantoms have. Before going out and flying long distances and just flying for the fun and enjoyment, be sure to set up your Mavic/Phantom so that it will return home, it's point of take off for me personally, not hover, nor land when the controller experiences loss of signal.
When I lost my Phantom 3 Standard, it was my own fault. I did not set it up properly before taking off, which simply means that I did not set up to return home instead of land. Simply put, that cost me another 5 big ones. If I had set up the return to home upon loss of signal, I would still be flying it.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks for saying so Jack.

On all the drone forums I constantly read about someone having a flyaway or a crash. The common complaint is that a software update did it or it is the manufacturers fault. The real reasons for these problems are impatience and trying to do something that the drone was not supposed to do.
It is fun to try to fly as fast as possible but I am not going to stress the airframe. Most quads are a monocoque construction where the outer shell is the frame. To improve flight times this is made as light as possible. Look at all the P3's that had stress cracks around the motor mounts.Where you will stress the Mavic is the arm mounting pivots. If you crash to include a hard landing the drone should be thoroughly inspected before another flight. If one of the motors is tilted just a few degrees the drone well be hard to control.

Well said . We all know someone that has taken a drone out of the box and made their first flight a mile away ,lol .
Read the manual , watch Youtube videos and practice before you leave VLOS .

This so true about those who get impatient and expect to fly like a professional right out of the gate. But in a strange way it is very much like our society has become. People want immediate gratification and will not take responsibility for their own mistakes so they look to blame a person, a company, the weather, you name it and they will blame it on them. I fully and totally agree that new Drone owners should watch all the You Tube video's they can and practice in beginner mode if possible. I would say that almost all the You Tube video's are about one person sharing his knowledge about a particular subject, how to avoid the mistakes they made and how to improve upon them.

I took my Mavic and P3S to the RC park to do some flying. The wind was blowing a bit, the windsock was showing the direction coming out of the South West at about 5 to 15 gusts. I had a hard time calibrating the compass on the Mavic and after several failed attempts, thought it was calibrated. As usual for me, I took off and let the Mavic just hover. It would not stay put and hover in place in spite of the wind. It began to drift to the left, so decided real fast that something was not right. Consequently, I landed the Mavic and put it back in it's Nanuk 920 case. After I got home hooked up everything for the download and sure enough, it needed a firmware update, even though I was somewhat sure I had done one recently. Evidently not. Have not flown it since, so have no idea if the problem is fixed or not. The P3S did however fly great, it stayed put and did not budge an inch, in spite of the wind. So had some fun flying around that day.

For some reason DJI sometimes lets you fly the Mavic if it needs an update. Other times it won't let you fly. I had both instances with the last update on the Mavic.
I also thought that I had done the update while the Mavic was sitting on a counter.
No flying today the wind is just too gusty steady at 20 mph with gusts at ground level of 35.
I think that I may purchase a P4Pro and sell the P4. I am going to have to see the screen on a P4Pro+ before I would consider one.

AgentOrange where in Vietnam were you I was in Pleiku in 69 and 70.

Long before the Mavic came out, I was flying the Phantom 2 and it could definitely do a fly away and that was due to improper IMU settings, which, once corrected, solved the fly away problem. The sad thing is that it took many of the Phantom Pilots to figure out what the problem was. Next came the Phantom 3's, first was the Standard and then finally ending up with the Phantom 4. The one thing that they all had in common was to set the home point, either to hover or to land. This simple command cost me a Phantom Standard when it landed in the lake. I could not blame anyone, it was my own fault for not changing the action of the Phantom when it lost signal. It landed like it was suppose to, I had failed to change the hovering or landing and return home, which I thought it was supposed to do automatically.
The absolute most important thing to do is set up a "Pre-Flight" checklist, just like real aircraft pilots are required to do with their respective aircraft. Next is to do a short mini-flight of sorts. This means to power up your aircraft, especially in a new area for the Drone, power up and let it hover in place for a few minutes to make sure that it does not drift. If your Mavic or Phantom begins to drift and not hold it's position even though you have not touched the control sticks, then you need to land and check your settings. Be "absolutely sure" that your return to home setting is your point of take off. I am not going to get into TapFly, and all the other auto settings that Mavic's and Phantoms have. Before going out and flying long distances and just flying for the fun and enjoyment, be sure to set up your Mavic/Phantom so that it will return home, it's point of take off for me personally, not hover, nor land when the controller experiences loss of signal.
When I lost my Phantom 3 Standard, it was my own fault. I did not set it up properly before taking off, which simply means that I did not set up to return home instead of land. Simply put, that cost me another 5 big ones. If I had set up the return to home upon loss of signal, I would still be flying it.

Hope this info helps.

Great post and sage wisdom. After all of the issues regarding settings being changed, I took the time yesterday and put all of the settings into an Excel Spreadsheet and printed it out so that I can easily go down the list and verify my settings before flight. I already had what I thought was a good pre-flight checklist but just added this as another step. It doesn't take long but gives huge piece of mind.

AgentOrange where in Vietnam were you I was in Pleiku in 69 and 70.

I was with the 2/32nd F.A. at Phu Loi. Tay Ninh was our front area of sorts, we had several firebases all over Region 3. Long Binh was our real rear area. MOS was 82C20. 71-72

124th Transportation, 8th Transportation Group

Ran a convoy of powder and joes to Tay Ninh one time, I was the second driver, driver's side glass was busted out and dust was so bad from trucks in front that primary driver **** near went blind from all the dust. I had bought a pair or rose tinted, 22K gold framed glasses in a local market and had to finish driving for him. Pretty hairy ride for sure and if I had not bought the glasses, would probably be in some Nam ditch today. Ha Ha.

124th Transportation, 8th Transportation Group

What is your location today? I am in AR. north of Lake Ouachita, google the lake up and you will see my neck of the woods.

I live in Loveland Colorado. I will be riding through Arkansas in May with Run For The Wall.
Looks like a nice area.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair