DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly With the front clear dome or Without ??

Anthony

Reactions
I am still waiting for my Mavic to arrive so spending lots of time reading and looking at youtube etc ... in this youtube clip i watched today he make a few points about whe DJI recomends however i cant find these recomendations in the DJI info for example flying with the front clear dome cover on ...

What do you think ??

Link to the youtube video

If you are not filming leave it on, if you want to film/make photo take it off.
With it gives more glare.
Check youtube for examples.

If you decide to fly with the dome on, make sure you remove the gimbal clamp. (same applies with the dome off).

Off, too many flares with it on and it restricts the front air inlets behind the Gimball

With the cover on you will get glare and reflections when trying to video, especially with any sun around. You can buy covers which give some protection but shields from glare.

Yeah i not know either, no one has a official answer
From the Dji site :
Mavic - Gimbal Cover | DJI Store

"Protects gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and in flight."

Use your discretion . If I were learning to fly a drone I would leave it on for protection during a crash , hard landing ,tree limbs etc .
if you want the best video of course take it off .

Official word from DJI is that you can fly with it on.

However...

This can very well cause sun spots on video and photos. It will cause the Mavic to become _slightly_ hotter while flying. This may or may not cause any additional wear on the electronics. It's not a huge increase in temp, only slightly. If you crash the Mavic into something and the camera is hit hard enough, the impact may damage the camera. The dome _might_ prevent this. It's always going to be questionable.

Knowing this... you need to decided if you will fly with or without the dome.