DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly zones

This is why it's important that when asking a question like the OP did, you put your location/country in the post.
He could be in Serbia for all we know. :p

Thanks for the info. I'm a new pilot am still waiting for my mavic also. Can't wait. By the way I'm in the US

I use AirMap.
First let me say that I will continue to use Airmap - because I like the airspace functionality. I don't like the outdated numbers that they get straight from the FAA database (FAA's fault - not AirMap).
Secondly, and most critical:
Don't rely on Airmap to cover your notification. I had been using AirMap to notify Portland International Airport for recreational use - since AirMap said that PDX "Accepts Digital Notification". So, I called the airport operations and ATC. I asked them about AirMap. They said they'd heard of it last year when AirMap offered to let them try it out. But they'd since deleted the app and don't get notification. Ultimately, they knew nothing about how it worked - nor D-NAS! I offered to do a test for ATC & they never got notified. Turns out it's voluntary. It follows out that AirMap specified PDX as a "Digital Notice" facility because they "thought" PDX was using it. I went further to investigate this - since I also do commercial 107 jobs (which doesn't work with AirMap notification - you have to get a waiver through the FAA website).

Ultimately, the FAA lawyer had this to say about AirMap leading drone pilots to believe that they have "notified" the airport by using their app:
---------------------------------------------
"Not much we can do but I don’t think the electronic notification even when it goes to airport management is sufficient in that the interpretive rule contemplates some sort of two way interaction – the operator notifies and the airport operator/ATC can object.
(name withheld)
Senior Attorney
Enforcement Division"

--------------------------------------------
Sooo.... If you don't want a violation - don't count on the airport having been "notified" - even if that airport "Accepts Digital Notification". You still have to call - according to the Enforcement Division of the FAA. I didn't put the attorney's name or location here because I didn't let them know I'd be publishing his statement. In the case of PDX, you call the PDX Airport Noise Hotline, tell them your plan, then they forward you to the Tower for confirmation. The noise hotline, strangely, are the people at PDX who put you in touch with the ATC guy/gal who can "deny" - but not approve your flight.

Again, I like AirMap - but they are leading us to believe you are covered. You are not - according to the FAA. They D-NAS is a great system - but not everyone who has seen it has chosen to get on board. I find it strange.

I use AirMap.
First let me say that I will continue to use Airmap - because I like the airspace functionality. I don't like the outdated numbers that they get straight from the FAA database (FAA's fault - not AirMap).
Secondly, and most critical:
Don't rely on Airmap to cover your notification. I had been using AirMap to notify Portland International Airport for recreational use - since AirMap said that PDX "Accepts Digital Notification". So, I called the airport operations and ATC. I asked them about AirMap. They said they'd heard of it last year when AirMap offered to let them try it out. But they'd since deleted the app and don't get notification. Ultimately, they knew nothing about how it worked - nor D-NAS! I offered to do a test for ATC & they never got notified. Turns out it's voluntary. It follows out that AirMap specified PDX as a "Digital Notice" facility because they "thought" PDX was using it. I went further to investigate this - since I also do commercial 107 jobs (which doesn't work with AirMap notification - you have to get a waiver through the FAA website).

Ultimately, the FAA lawyer had this to say about AirMap leading drone pilots to believe that they have "notified" the airport by using their app:
---------------------------------------------
"Not much we can do but I don’t think the electronic notification even when it goes to airport management is sufficient in that the interpretive rule contemplates some sort of two way interaction – the operator notifies and the airport operator/ATC can object.
(name withheld)
Senior Attorney
Enforcement Division"

--------------------------------------------
Sooo.... If you don't want a violation - don't count on the airport having been "notified" - even if that airport "Accepts Digital Notification". You still have to call - according to the Enforcement Division of the FAA. I didn't put the attorney's name or location here because I didn't let them know I'd be publishing his statement. In the case of PDX, you call the PDX Airport Noise Hotline, tell them your plan, then they forward you to the Tower for confirmation. The noise hotline, strangely, are the people at PDX who put you in touch with the ATC guy/gal who can "deny" - but not approve your flight.

Again, I like AirMap - but they are leading us to believe you are covered. You are not - according to the FAA. They D-NAS is a great system - but not everyone who has seen it has chosen to get on board. I find it strange.

I live over in Vancouver and when I try to file a notification to PDX with Airmap I get a text message back saying PDX does not allow digital notification because I am too close and I need to call the tower.

Just an FYI in case you have never gotten that text before.

I live over in Vancouver and when I try to file a notification to PDX with Airmap I get a text message back saying PDX does not allow digital notification because I am too close and I need to call the tower.

Just an FYI in case you have never gotten that text before.

Thank you. I'm surprised I didn't get that last week when I did the test notification. I was within the 5 miles (at Leverich Park). I submitted it - but got nothing back. I called the Approach controller on duty & tower & they both said they didn't get the notification. I never got a text back either. How long has it been since you got the text message?
I asked AirMap to please change the system so that we would be told to call - rather than just assume that we'd notified officially. I wonder if they updated it. Or, I wonder if the person at PDX actually started using the app again?

I live in Felida/Hazel Dell area. Fortunately, my area is outside the range. But I've since noticed that PDX has a huge Class E airspace that goes clear up near Yacolt and is at the surface. This is very problematic for part 107/commercial flyers. Anyone doing this for business will not be able to fly in 3/4 of the county without a waiver that takes weeks - month. Not an issue for hobby/rec flights obviously.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98