DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FlyBe (UK airline) drone regs.

Neil

Reactions
Hi
I am travelling to France shortly with FlyBe.
I have looked at the general airline regs for carrying LiPo batteries, and all seem to agree that they must be in the carry on hand baggage.
I wasn't aware that the drone has to be in the hold:

Remote-Controlled Drones

Is this a general rule, or is it just this airline wanting to sell some hold baggage?
Cheers
Neil

Strange, I've not seen any other airline saying that. I'd imagine your comment about selling hold space is spot-on, as a drone is no more dangerous than a laptop (except laptops don't very often fall from the sky..)

All Lipo batteries must be carried on as hand luggage only. They are best to be at around 10-20% charge to show that they are working, but not fully charged. Your drone can also go as hand luggage as long as your carry on bag is the right size. I would not put the drone in the cargo hold unless it was in a very strong deli case or similar. I have flown with Fly be and mine came in the cabin with me in a back pack.

Reactions: Neil
Yep I would be reluctant to put it in the hold too, I'd remove the props and keep it in my hand luggage, they will likely swab it and the batteries when you go through security, without the props some probably won't even relize it's a drone, probably think it's a video camera of some sort or a large electric razor or something

Well I travelled to France on FlyBe, and security couldn't care less about my Mavic and spare batteries, in my hand luggage. They pulled me up for a 5ml tube of toothpaste that hadn't been bagged separately!
(Hope the return flight is the same!).

Sorry to bump my own thread again, but through security with no problems on the return journey. I think the airline is only concerned with the larger phantom type drones taking up space - they don't care what's in your carry on bag as long as security is happy.

Hello,

Bit late on this thread...
I've got 2 spare batteries which looks like they're allowed. Should i keep one battery inserted into the drone as normal, or do they have to be disconnected from the drone?

Thanks

Should i keep one battery inserted into the drone as normal ?

Yes, perfectly ok to have a battery fitted in the drone in cabin carry on.
If checking the drone in to hold bag, take all batteries in the carry on.

Re the flybe policy . . .
Emirates started this after some numpty (YouTube "star") flew a small drone (Spark ?) in the cabin of an airborne passenger jet.
Maybe flybe are an associate of Emirates, or are copying their policy.
Hope other airlines don't do this too.

Just found this old thread. I'm travelling from Glasgow to Exeter and I have been told by customer service and found on their website that the drone itself must be in the hold bag and the batteries in your cabin bag. They are absolutely firm on that. I can't see any possible reason, apart from selling extra baggage! We don't have any hold luggage so I can't take it! Very miffed.
D'you think this is just a company policy or a CAA policy?

Hello,

I flew to exeter from manchester with Flybe a few weeks ago... Took Mavic with a battery attached and then 2 spare batteries, just in my hand luggage. At security had to take them all out of the case and put them in the tray. In my handbag I kept them in a protective cushioned pouch that velcros into my lowepro rucksack and made sure the spare batteries couldnt touch each other. Didnt use any Lipo bags...
Flybe didn't have any questions as only security see what's in your bag and they don't care which airline you're travelling with.
Putting your drone in hold luggage means it risks getting bumped and dropped by baggage handlers which i wouldnt risk.
Coming back from exeter they didnt even ask what it was or ask me to get it out of its fur sleeve!
Good luck

Thing is, if they did throw the rule book at me I'd have to stump up another £48 for a hold bag, we're only travelling with cabin bags. I daren't risk it:mad:

Hi
I am travelling to France shortly with FlyBe.
I have looked at the general airline regs for carrying LiPo batteries, and all seem to agree that they must be in the carry on hand baggage.
I wasn't aware that the drone has to be in the hold:

Remote-Controlled Drones

Is this a general rule, or is it just this airline wanting to sell some hold baggage?
Cheers
Neil

Its an airline rule and not a general rule. The only other one i know with a rule stating drone to hold is Emirates.
Batteries must be in carry on (with terminals protected).

That said,the airline doesnt examine the hand luggage contents at check-in and security have no issues with drones so id be tempted to keep it in hand luggage anyway.

I spoke at length to customer service who told me twice that the drone itself, without batteries, must go in the hold. I guess it is to stop you having a working drone in the cabin.

Their plane, their policy.
Its moronic but sadly thats the rules.

That said:- id still be tempted to try it. The airline doesnt inspect your hand luggage - security does. And they dont care.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett