DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying above clouds

told you i could not spell its bacon sarnie London for a bacon sandwich common here on a lazy sunday.

I'm more confused. But now I'm hungry for some reason my friend.

I think I spelled it wrong by the way. But, **** it sounds delicious. I think I've gone off topic... why again are we arguing?[emoji6]

That's right. One person was saying you can't fly above the clouds even tho there are places that it can safely be done well within the rules of the FAA.

I didn't know a 300 to 400 foot ceiling included the countryside where there may not be so much as a farmyard for miles and any planes are up at 33,00 feet
Single engine piston aircraft, helicopters, microlights, gliders etc aren't in the habit of flying at 33,000 feet.

Lets forget about the rules for a moment (which are not the same anywhere anyhow) and talk about the original question.

I am no physicist, but I think the following are considerations (not condensations!). If the aircraft is cool and one flies in humid and hot air, I am sure condensation would be building up inside the Mavic, depending on current dewpoint (again, no expert on that).

Here in Hong Kong I see many people fly into fog, mist, clouds, which is part of the current season. I can only imagine its fine, as the temperature of the air is likely less than the Mavics chassis temerature - as some have pointed out, it runs quite hot.

Having said that, I am sure the temperature and dewpoint at 2000ft or higher is surely different than at sea level or 800ft.

Any weather experts here?!

Reactions: KiterTodd
The minimum vertical distance from clouds is no less than 500 feet below the cloud ceiling as the person posted earlier. The maximum height we can fly in the US is 400 feet AGL. So therefore your minimum cloud ceiling is 900 feet. This is straight out of my FAA part 107 study guide. I also wouldn't recommend it due to the moisture that the fan would pull into the aircraft.

The minimum vertical distance from clouds is no less than 500 feet below the cloud ceiling as the person posted earlier. The maximum height we can fly in the US is 400 feet AGL. So therefore your minimum cloud ceiling is 900 feet. This is straight out of my FAA part 107 study guide. I also wouldn't recommend it due to the moisture that the fan would pull into the aircraft.
That is correct. For Part 107 fliers. Not for hobby fliers. It seems as if not everyone knows there is a difference, so it bears repeating.

That is correct. For Part 107 fliers. Not for hobby fliers. It seems as if not everyone knows there is a difference, so it bears repeating.
So why wouldn't safety rules like that apply to both hobby and part 107?

So why wouldn't safety rules like that apply to both hobby and part 107?
Good question. I think they should. It just so happens that Congress made a special point of it when Public Law 112-95 sec.336 was enacted. It took FAA regulations out of FAA hands when flying as a recreational flier.

Not arguing with you, just asking.....other than VLOS, where can I find the cloud ceiling guide (I just have never read that)? I'm sometimes in the mountains where a cloud bank can be maybe 100' over my head. I'm also not sure what you're saying with the 400' rule either, because I know for a fact that that is not illegal, unless within close proximity to an airport. FYI, I fly recreationally.

On the commercial side of the house you must stay 2000 feet away from clouds horizontally and 500 feet below them that's in the 107 chapter

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000