DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying above/over Power Lines UK

KillaMavic

Reactions
good evening..

I've recently found a nice flying Spot, of the side of a nice Hill.
I'm try to build up the Flying Distance and Figured this would give me a fantastic advantage....BUT around 500/600 feet away from my Take off Spot I have to fly above some Major Power lines....
I've set all limits to avoid but was wondering could this Hinder my long range runs??

Regards
D

My initial tests with 3 long long runs...(for me) out to 1500 plus feet and an Altitude of around 180 feet from take off proved no problems...BUT it did play on my mind and was worried!!!

The only reason for flying this location is there some fantastic views to be had!!

Oh and it's very Quiet!!!

I did the same for my footage. Power lines are very high but not in the footage because not very scenic but had to fly over as well. Was closer to 250 feet from take off while passing over though.

Have some where I fly, I go over them everyday with no problems. Never have went under don't know bout tha.

I've been rite next to them seems to have no effect

I once (accidentally) flew right through the middle of some major power lines with my P3A. Didn't realise it until I watched the footage back. It was terrifying! It seemed to have no affect on the drone though, but now it's a major paranoia of mine, they are had to spot on a smartphone with glare. Always plan ahead!

It's probably all according to the weather conditions , other interference in the area , what voltage and type (AC/DC) power the lines are carrying etc . Most likely they alone would not cause much issue but add in other sources of interference and it can all add up . I flew out towards a friends house the other day which is 2 miles away and at a mile out I got a strong interference warning and video also started to break up then the Mavic stopped and started RTH I could not see it on my phone screen in the sun glare but looking at the video afterwards It had stopped about 500' from some very tall power lines directly in front . I was at 200' and it appeared that if I had continued on I would have barely cleared them . there is nothing but forest and maybe a hand full of houses around that area . I put in a fresh battery and changed altitude to 400' and flew over my friends house just fine .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000