DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying areas in North County San Diego

niantic

Reactions
Looking for some parks, areas, etc. For Mavic flying in North county San Diego.

Beaches are a nice option. Just be aware of the Class D & E airspace from Carlsbad/Palomar airport. Whereabouts in North county?

San Dieguito River Park. South Escondido and Del Dios. Many miles of trails and open space.

Hi Sean, I am a new Mavic owner an am looking for places to fly. I live in Carlsbad. Any suggestions? Want to go fly one of these days?
Swami' s, Del Mar, Solana Beach, La Jolla are all good spots to fly. Yeah sure, I wouldn't mind flying together sometime.

Hello Sean O. and Gene92009. I live in North County on the border of Carlsbad and Vista. I've only been in California about 6 months and I would LOVE some flying buddies. I have a phantom 3 Pro and I have my part 107 sUAS License. I just want to have some friends that are into drones. I'd love to meet up with one or both of you and do some flying. My phone number is 602-228-1170 Feel free to call or text me. I think I'm going to out Moonlight beach tonight to do a little flying. Another place I fly is in the park off of Schoolhouse way in San Elijo Hills. It's just outside of Palomar's airspace. Looking forward to hearing from you. My website www.arisedrone.com. my email [email protected] Thanks!

So, is there no drone flying within Carlsbad really? I use the B4UFLY app from the FAA and it says to notify the airport when you do, but overall it does not seem to be prohibited? I am right in the triangle where Oceanside, Vista, and Carlsbad meet (near Cannon and Shadowridge).

So, is there no drone flying within Carlsbad really? I use the B4UFLY app from the FAA and it says to notify the airport when you do, but overall it does not seem to be prohibited? I am right in the triangle where Oceanside, Vista, and Carlsbad meet (near Cannon and Shadowridge).

Assuming you're flying for recreational purposes...

Here are my $0.02 based on experience in notifying facilities near my location in SD. Please keep in mind the notification process is still new to some facilities so there are some different preferences. Don't be surprised if you're the first to ever establish contact regarding UAVs. They do expect the process to be more streamlined in the future.

It looks like your location is similar to where I fly in town with a Class D and medical helo ports nearby. Based on B4UFLY and Airmap, besides schools in the area, nothing stands out in regards to prohibition of flights within a 2000 ft radius of that intersection.

Call the airport mgr at CLD/CRQ and inquire about their recreational UAV notification process and ask whether they have any specific guidelines or advisories in the area when operating. If the process is anything like notifying at MYF, he'll ideally tell you to use common sense, abide by FAA guidelines, and call ATC to notify ahead of time.

My experience with chasing down the appropriate contacts at medical helo facilities are mixed. Some may or may not want notification each time you operate. I have six of them in my area and only one wants notifications. You'll either speak to security or the director of engineering. If the place is a level 1 trauma center, they'll advise you of their usual flight paths and the potential for 24 hrs a day operation, on-demand. The conversations have been positive and it really revolves around safety and common sense. Some do operate in the 100'-200' AGL range so need to be hyper-aware and listening when operating.

As an added suggestion, call the local PD to have a conversation regarding their UAV guidelines and ask whether they have any preferences on notification. I know it's not required but being proactive goes a long ways. I spoke with one of the air support officers/pilots which turned out to be a nice twenty minute conversation. He was very helpful and friendly regarding the subject in general. He had some concerns about me operating within 5 miles of SAN due to possible Class B. (ATC said my location was good to go.) He didn't want notice each time I operate, discussed the helicopper typical operating altitudes, and reiterated safety above all else.

I'm glad I reached out to all of the facilities because it makes for a much comforting experience knowing that we all had an understanding. Would recommend others do the same.

Dude, your answer totally rocks. I love it!!!!!!! I guess I have some homework to do, but I think it will be totally worth it.

Reactions: philglov and L.L.
I'm at Shadowridge and Melrose. Let me know if you want to fly. My drone is down right now it needs a new esc or Compass. I'm trying to sell it to buy a Phantom 4 pro. But I would enjoy just meeting up and watching you fly as well. I'm waiting to see what the Christmas offers may be from DJI.

I'm at Shadowridge and Melrose. Let me know if you want to fly. My drone is down right now it needs a new esc or Compass. I'm trying to sell it to buy a Phantom 4 pro. But I would enjoy just meeting up and watching you fly as well. I'm waiting to see what the Christmas offers may be from DJI.

Have you flown at the high school yet? Did you get any grief?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627