DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying around Colorado

Dude. I would love to know how you achieved some of that Aerial stuff with the Mavic. I am a Professional Aerial cinematographer and although I have achieve similar stuff with my Phantom 4 and Inspire I have had nothing , but issue with the image quality I am getting from the Mavic and am days away from possibly sending it back. Now yes the other 2 drones that I mention should look nicer, and yes I use ND filters, keep my frame rate low and do color correcting so I don't want to compare apples to oranges, but I haven't come close to what you got. Really nice stuff. Any details on from rates and resolutions would be greatly appreciated.

In case you're interested, here is my 3 minute Aerial reel. BTW I am a Jeep Wrangler dude myself. You will catch a glimpse of one of them in my reel.
Cheers, and fly safe!
Aerial reel link

Dude. I would love to know how you achieved some of that Aerial stuff with the Mavic. I am a Professional Aerial cinematographer and although I have achieve similar stuff with my Phantom 4 and Inspire I have had nothing , but issue with the image quality I am getting from the Mavic and am days away from possibly sending it back. Now yes the other 2 drones that I mention should look nicer, and yes I use ND filters, keep my frame rate low and do color correcting so I don't want to compare apples to oranges, but I haven't come close to what you got. Really nice stuff. Any details on from rates and resolutions would be greatly appreciated.

In case you're interested, here is my 3 minute Aerial reel. BTW I am a Jeep Wrangler dude myself. You will catch a glimpse of one of them in my reel.
Cheers, and fly safe!
Aerial reel link

Thanks for the kind words and also you have a great reel!

All the footage was shoot in 4k 24fps. Color from the camera was was either D-Cinelike or Art and default style. I then went into post and color graded the footage with Film Convert and dialed in the sharpness and dynamic range of the image. I haven't tried anything with D-Log yet but I think it will provide the most flexibility/dynamic range especially as LUT's become available for the Mavic.

I do think the image does look a bit compressed compared to what's out there but its manageable. I guess its a question of time spent setting up and flying vs. time in post. Definitely for image quality, I would reach for a phantom 4 or inspire especially of the scope of work is aerial heavy. Otherwise, for a run and gun shoot with a some aerial inserts or travel in general, the Mavic is the way to go.

Is that Ouray? Looks like it. Love that place. Went there myself for FJ summit in 2011.
Yup, a good chunk of it is in Ouray. I picked a bad time to head there as they got their first wave of snow and most of the trails were closed. We tried Yankee Boy Basin, Lost Dollar Rd and Corkskrew Gulch. I'm trying to head back this summer for Summit! Hoping to have more capable FJ by then.

Color grading...color grading....Ive read that in every post about image quality. I have an Inspire one and guess ive taken it for granted that for the most part the color was fantastic and accurate and color grading was not part of my normal work flow. If I want to use the Mavic I guess Im going to have to buy some software and learn how to use it.

Color grading...color grading....Ive read that in every post about image quality. I have an Inspire one and guess ive taken it for granted that for the most part the color was fantastic and accurate and color grading was not part of my normal work flow. If I want to use the Mavic I guess Im going to have to buy some software and learn how to use it.

Yes color grading can be a pain especially if you're a one man operation but I had to develop it into my workflow even with the older drones/cameras that I have. In short films I've shot on, the director of photography would color run a x-rite color checker right before I would take off just to make sure the footage could be graded to match other cameras by the editor.

Yup, a good chunk of it is in Ouray. I picked a bad time to head there as they got their first wave of snow and most of the trails were closed. We tried Yankee Boy Basin, Lost Dollar Rd and Corkskrew Gulch. I'm trying to head back this summer for Summit! Hoping to have more capable FJ by then.
Try going north from Silverton. God's country.

Reactions: jasoraso
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000