DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying around Colorado

Nice footage and great tips. Look forward to taking my Mavic out west of Boulder. Likewise, I probably need to look at color grading video. Curious to know if there are lower cost alternatives to Adobe Premier or Davinci Resolve as I do not do this professionally. I will take a look at LUT.

Nice footage and great tips. Look forward to taking my Mavic out west of Boulder. Likewise, I probably need to look at color grading video. Curious to know if there are lower cost alternatives to Adobe Premier or Davinci Resolve as I do not do this professionally. I will take a look at LUT.
You can pick up Resolve Lite for free but I believe the grading is limited. I don't have much experience with this NLE.

Hi all,

Sorry for such a beginner question, but I'm fairly new to flying drones. This is my first time trying to fly my mavic away from home and am concerned about where I can fly.

I'm brought it with me to Telluride and have been using the B4UFly app, but it seems like everywhere I look is within 5 miles of an airport. I looked at Ouray as it is near Telluride, but it also shows within 5 miles of airport.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi all,

Sorry for such a beginner question, but I'm fairly new to flying drones. This is my first time trying to fly my mavic away from home and am concerned about where I can fly.

I'm brought it with me to Telluride and have been using the B4UFly app, but it seems like everywhere I look is within 5 miles of an airport. I looked at Ouray as it is near Telluride, but it also shows within 5 miles of airport.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

At the time that I flew I didn't receive a warning prior to taking off. The trails that I shot from were Last Dollar Trail and Yankee Boy Trail. Both trails were fairly remote and the areas were within valleys. If you scout out the area especially along the off road trails, you will find some nice areas to fly as long as you stay fairly low.

Thanks for the info. I was going by the B4UFly app rather than the mavic warning.

I'll give those trails a shot.

I appreciate your help.

At the time that I flew I didn't receive a warning prior to taking off. The trails that I shot from were Last Dollar Trail and Yankee Boy Trail. Both trails were fairly remote and the areas were within valleys. If you scout out the area especially along the off road trails, you will find some nice areas to fly as long as you stay fairly low.

Technically you can't fly within 5 miles of an airport. That said if you stay within a few hundred feet of the mountains and below 400 feet above the ground ( would do 200ft to be even safer), you have little chance of endangering a commercial or private maned craft. And ALWAYS fly within sight of your drone!

I am jealous. I was exactly were you were in Colorado long before I owned my Drones. Can't wait to see your footage.

Dude. I would love to know how you achieved some of that Aerial stuff with the Mavic. I am a Professional Aerial cinematographer and although I have achieve similar stuff with my Phantom 4 and Inspire I have had nothing , but issue with the image quality I am getting from the Mavic and am days away from possibly sending it back. Now yes the other 2 drones that I mention should look nicer, and yes I use ND filters, keep my frame rate low and do color correcting so I don't want to compare apples to oranges, but I haven't come close to what you got. Really nice stuff. Any details on from rates and resolutions would be greatly appreciated.

In case you're interested, here is my 3 minute Aerial reel. BTW I am a Jeep Wrangler dude myself. You will catch a glimpse of one of them in my reel.
Cheers, and fly safe!
Aerial reel link

That is an amazing video!!! Beautiful color and scenery. What setting did you use?

great video. on you opening time lapse, what do you have your camera on?

I have it on a time lapse rig that is made with a 6 foot extruded aluminum t-slot rail, a step motor and controlled with a dynamic perception timelapse controller. I shot it with a GH4 which has a built in timlapse feature so the dynamic perception controller is just used to move the camera. However it can control the shutter intervals on most cameras.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato