DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying around/over the Royal Navies newest Aircraft Carrier in non military waterway?

Bunraku

Reactions
Hi

The UK’s biggest ever warship gets launched today in the Forth River Estuary and I would like to film it from 400ft the maximum I am allowed. This is a public waterway and I have already filmed ships on it. The Aircraft Carrier will be anchored in the estuary for many hours. The carrier has always been visible to everyone for miles getting built and it has featured in multiple documentaries. There are no great secrets about it. It is also going to pass under 3 bridges at midnight tonight. Anyone on these bridges will be standing less than a 100 feet from the carrier deck and even less from the carrier masts. As far as I am aware flying over or near to the carrier would not break the UK guidelines/Dronecode. And like I said people on the bridge would be closer than I intend to go.

So my question is although I might not be popular with the Royal Navy or the Ministry of Defence would this be legal, bearing in mind this is a public waterway and I am not aware of any law regarding flying over warships?I am not talking buzzing the tower or landing on deck, but flying Point of Interest around the Carrier at max allowed altitude. Legality is the question, not common sense.

Thanks

Sounds fine by me, but please share the pictures if you can from MI6 lockup :)

I know the US navy get rather touchy, and after some of the things happening in the UK you may draw undue attention. It would look cool but perhaps you would be better off with a go pro and standing on the bridge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekleeth