Flying at Night

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Chris_Toronto, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Chris_Toronto

Chris_Toronto Well-Known Member

The other evening I took out my Mavic and simply took it off and then went to about 8 feet above the ground. It was quite dark, not pitch black, and there was some wind. I had about 12 satellites reported but I am quite sure that it was too dark for the VPS to be of any help. The Mavic could not hold a steady hover - it was drifting about 4 or 5 feet from the intended hover point and the elevation was fluctuating from about 2 feet to about 10 feet above the ground.

Would you consider this to be expected behavior due to a combination of low light and the presence of wind?

Thanks.

2. ThreeGs

ThreeGs Well-Known Member

Were you flying near any LARGE metal structures or electrical fields that could have been messing with the GPS signal?

3. Chris_Toronto

No, definitely not.

4. Chris_Toronto

Now, that I think about it, it asked me to calibrate the compass before that flight, which I did without incident. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. I haven't flown it since.

5. garaobriain

garaobriain Active Member

Haven't got mine yet but night flying looks great from the videos I've seen on YouTube. Take off from a well lit area then it has a good home point reference. GPS flying should be just the same as daytime I guess. Keep flying though!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

6. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

Look for the compass calibration guide posted by Msinger. You should only have to calibrate your Mavic once. Once you have a good calibration, even if it prompts you, just move to a different spot instead of getting a bad calibration. If I can't move, I'll sometimes still take off and once I clear whatever is creating the interference on the ground, the erroroneous reading goes away.