DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying below take off altitude?

Cooltime19

Reactions
As a new Mavic pilot. Can you fly it lower than your take off altitude without the fear of it shutting off.
I am looking at some possible flights when it will be taking off at the top of a cliff and descending down 100ft. And then return to the original take off spot.
Has anyone done this. And if so did you have to change any settings?

Sent from my Pixel using MavicPilots mobile app

No you will be fine. If you intend on using the RTH function, make sure you set it above the highest point you will fly over but remember that it bases altitude off of the takeoff point. So if you take off from the top off a cliff, it will register that position as 0ft elevation. Everything from there will be +/- in elevation.

Reactions: Cooltime19
Thanks for asking this, I was wondering cause of some speculation after release when a few people crashed and blamed it on flying in negative altitudes. Best part of being at the highest place is you can RTH while its set at like 20ft, so it doesnt climb to 100 feet above you for no reason lol. Nervous but stoked to go try it from some sweet lookout points.

Reactions: Cooltime19
Thanks for asking this, I was wondering cause of some speculation after release when a few people crashed and blamed it on flying in negative altitudes. Best part of being at the highest place is you can RTH while its set at like 20ft, so it doesnt climb to 100 feet above you for no reason lol. Nervous but stoked to go try it from some sweet lookout points.
just make sure you have a GOOD GPS fix and that you take into account any wind gusts you might encounter once you clear the edge of the cliff.....use common sense and you will be fine.

just make sure you have a GOOD GPS fix and that you take into account any wind gusts you might encounter once you clear the edge of the cliff.....use common sense and you will be fine.
Good advice thanks. I'm pretty conservative with wind flying. But in Hawaii not much you can do about wind most of the time, and plenty of GPS signal constantly, I never drop below 11 sats.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore