DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying by airports, heliports ect...

Alex El Caballo

Reactions
Hey fellas,
I live here in Miami, Coral Gables to be specific. In this area according to B4youfly there is a airport and heliport all over the place.
I have read FAA states no fly zones 5 miles to any airport.
I have read that MIA has a range of 1.5 miles.
What should I go by?
Will my drone not fly if i am in the 5 mile range? If so can this be disabled?
I don't plan on high altitude flights. I just need to practice control of the bird
Thank you for your input.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm having the same problem here in orange county and long beach,. There are so many helipads and combined with the airports it shows i cant fly anywhere. :(

I an reticent to get into this, as a new guy who only recently passed the 107 certification, but I am a career airline pilot, from private pilot though international 777 captain, with a little bit of knowledge on these issues.
This is US only.
Having read these posts for a week now, I can see there is a great deal of speculation/assumption on airspace issues.
An airport traffic area only exists when a tower facility is operating. That airspace extends from the surface to 3000' above ground level, and to five statue miles from the geographic center of the airport.

A lot of airports don't have operating tower facilities 24-7.
If any doubt exists, call the facility and ask.
Far smarter to do that than ask for answers on this forum.

I an reticent to get into this, as a new guy who only recently passed the 107 certification, but I am a career airline pilot, from private pilot though international 777 captain, with a little bit of knowledge on these issues.
This is US only.
Having read these posts for a week now, I can see there is a great deal of speculation/assumption on airspace issues.
An airport traffic area only exists when a tower facility is operating. That airspace extends from the surface to 3000' above ground level, and to five statue miles from the geographic center of the airport.

A lot of airports don't have operating tower facilities 24-7.
If any doubt exists, call the facility and ask.
Far smarter to do that than ask for answers on this forum.
Thanks Captain.
That is one of the things i plan on doing.
Looks like ill make friends with the tin pushers in MIA....

I'm having the same problem here in orange county and long beach,. There are so many helipads and combined with the airports it shows i cant fly anywhere. :(

Long Beach CA: El Dorado Park West by Carson St has a flying field. Been there for decades. I haven't been there yet, no Mavic yet, but it shouldn't hurt to check it out and talk with the club members there, I know it is open to the public (with AMA membership). Also cost 5-7 bucks to enter park.

Whittier Narrows, by the 60-Fwy, has an awesome flying area with everything. Again, haven't been but some people I know have been. Good luck, it's difficult to find a place that is totally OK in SoCal.

Long Beach CA: El Dorado Park West by Carson St has a flying field. Been there for decades. I haven't been there yet, no Mavic yet, but it shouldn't hurt to check it out and talk with the club members there, I know it is open to the public (with AMA membership). Also cost 5-7 bucks to enter park.

Whittier Narrows, by the 60-Fwy, has an awesome flying area with everything. Again, haven't been but some people I know have been. Good luck, it's difficult to find a place that is totally OK in SoCal.

or you can ride you bike in through the riverbed

Reactions: J-Dub
After reading these posts, I had to go and check to see if my Mavic flew as I have been flying my Mavic daily within 5 miles from an Airport without problems. But I researched it and the NFZ here is a class E which apparently is the least restrictive.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3