DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying drones state parks in Ohio

Ekrizay

Reactions
I live in Ohio next to a Stark county park, Can I fly my drone or is this off limits?

have you read the parks rules online? There rule book is only 304 pages long and covers everything from insurance fraud to shop lifting. I guess they felt the need to avoid simply applying laws that already apply to the park being in the county and relisting them all again.

https://starkparks.com/wp-content/uploads/Stark-County-Park-District_2015-Rules-Regulations.pdf

"543.11 UNMANNED AIRCRAFT . (a) No person shall operate an unmanned aircraft within the park district or in the airspace overlying the park district without first obtaining a permit from the Director. (1) As used in this section, “unmanned aircraft” means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device, and the associated operational elements and components that are required for the pilot or system operator in command to operate or control the device (such as cameras, sensors, communication links). This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g. model airplanes, quadcopters, drones) that are used for any purpose, including for recreation or commerce. (b) Persons may be authorized to use unmanned aircraft by obtaining a permit from the Director. Such permits may be issued when the Director finds: (1) That the proposed activity and use will not unreasonably interfere with or detract from the promotion of public health, welfare and safety or security of the park; (2) That the proposed activity or use is not reasonably anticipated to incite violence, crime or disorderly conduct; (3) That the proposed activity will not entail unusual or extraordinary or burdensome expense or ranger operations by the park district. (4) That the activity will not have an adverse affect on other reserved facilities at the day and hour required in the application (c) Whoever violates this section shall be fined not more than one hundred fifty dollars ($150.00) for the first offense and not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) for each subsequent offense. (ORC 1545.99)

Reactions: SeaComms
Interesting.

They can control take-off and landing in State Parks. NOT the airspace above it. Only the FAA can. So you could take off outside the park, fly OVER it and out again. Now... if someone in a uniform shows up while doing that it might become complicated because they might not understand the difference between landing/takeoff (controlling the ground) and flying (owning the airspace).
So... apply intelligently.... ;-)

Reactions: Bowk5150
Well I can share a couple things with you about this since I'm in LE and have a few friends that are Park Rangers.

1) There are state parks that I have not seen any postings reference drones usage. It should be posted as far as I know.

2) Be cautious about flying near dams. If operated by US Army Core of Engineers that will be a no no in that area but not the entire Park.

3) Serpent mound was first Park I found with drone posting. And it doesn't prohibit usage of it. It tells you to ask for permission.

When we spoke with the person in charge there he had a couple rules which make sense....

Fly drone during non-peak hours in morning or evening.

Does the drone have safety precautions, obstacle avoidance, RTH. When he was advised that it was a Mavic Pro with those features he stated absolutely your welcome to fly here.

So don't take it as a negative view. They are responsible for safety of others. I think they are trying to avoid the lower end drones with no safety features at all and also want to get a sense to see if your going to be a responsible flier.

I have flown at Rocky Fork, Fallsville at waterfalls, and some areas of Ceasers Creek as well as Cowan Lake with nothing but positive experience. I also didn't fly over people but stayed in non-busy areas and all went well. Most people really enjoy seeing the capabilities of the Mavic and grew interested by saying they would like to get one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S