DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from boat

Layer86

Reactions
Relatively new to drones (haven't gotten my mavic yet, but am familiar with phantoms), and was wondering how flying off of a boat would work in terms of drifting and still having to land. It is almost a sure thing that the boat will drift during flight, so how would I ensure that the Mavic will land safely on the boat when the flight is complete? I know it is capable of recognizing takeoff and landing locations, but how well can it detect them? In the case of significant drifting, will this feature still work?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Eyeinthesky33
I would stay away from auto takeoff until the issues people have reported are 100% fixed. There have been many reports of people doing auto take off and then the motors stopping and the drone crashing from about 4 feet. I haven't tried it just because I've seen a handful of people report it happening to them

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Antman305
I know it is capable of recognizing takeoff and landing locations, but how well can it detect them?
It would be safest to land manually or hand catch. GPS is not 100% accurate and nor is the auto landing feature. If the boat moves at all after taking off or the GPS data is not 100% accurate, the Mavic could auto land in the water somewhere.

Remember to change home to the controller and not the point of takeoff. I ran into an issue on my first flight off of a moving boat and you'll be tethered to your takeoff point if you hit max distance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa