Flying in America?

Discussion in 'sUAV Rules & Regulations' started by agour, Jan 5, 2017.

1. agour

agour Active Member

Hello!

I'm off to California next week, and wondered what the legalities are for flying a drone there as a hobbyist?

I'm struggling to find the right info, I found something about requiring registration, but haven't found a clear cut website yet.

Thanks!
    -agour

2. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

Before flying as a hobbyist in the US, you must register with the FAA here and attach your registration number to your Mavic.

3. agour

agour Active Member

awesome, thank you!

After that, does the usual rules apply (dont fly over 500ft, keep line of sight, etc)?

Also, was the ban ever lifted on flying in national parks?

4. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

The rules can be found in the table on this page.

It would be best to check with the national park of your choice before flying there.

5. spiderpig

spiderpig Well-Known Member

It's 400 feet above ground level. Not sure about the ban on national parks, but most of them are restricted airspace to begin with so you have to follow that as well. There is a great app called B4UFly by the FAA that tells you if your good to fly or not.

6. ascension

ascension Well-Known Member

"On June 19, 2014, National Park Service Director Jonathon B. Jarvis signed Policy Memorandum 14–05, Unmanned Aircraft – Interim Policy. Its purpose was “to ensure that the use of unmanned aircraft is addressed in a consistent manner by the NPS before a significant level of such use occurs within the National Park System.” Each superintendent was directed “to use the authority under 36 CFR 1.5 to close units of the National Park System to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft…” This policy is still in place and the public may not use unmanned aircraft in the national parks."

Aviation: Unmanned Aerial Systems | U.S. National Park Service

Bill Debevc likes this.
  7. Bivalve

Bivalve Well-Known Member

I work as a commercial pilot, and I got that app, hoping to do the right thing. The problem is, that app shows a lot of private airports that are long since defunct. One in my area has twenty foot trees growing where the runway used to be.
    I know this is difficult for most people to get, but a better resource is a recent sectional for your area, which is a chart pilots use in good weather, and shows all active airports, both private and public. It also shows the airspace associated with those airports.

The problem is, sectionals can be difficult to get, and they aren't cheap. A good FBO, or Fixed Base Operation, will have them. These are at some, but not all airports. Alternatively, some apps used by GA pilots have them. Haven't researched this, maybe somebody will chime in.

8. spiderpig

spiderpig Well-Known Member

I use an app called SmartPlates which has current sectional charts.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

9. joet

joet Member

bwall525 likes this.
  10. eppicphotos

eppicphotos New Member

I just registered directly through the FAA website as a Canadian citizen for 5 bucks. Unlimited drones in my possession fall under this registration and is good for 3 years. Quick and easy with an immediate email from the FAA giving me a number which must be visible on all drones that need to be registered, as well as a registration certificate.