Flying in Control Towered Airspace

Have you flown in controlled airspace?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to someday.

Results are only viewable after voting.

theecrewchief

Reactions
Hey guys and gals. I just wanted to share my experience with my first drone flight within a control towers airspace.

It started off with a slow day at the office and beautiful weather. (Gotta love being able to bring the mavic to and from work in a messenger bag with my laptop.) Well we decided to kill sometime this afternoon to fly. I knew we were close to the airport as we have planes buzzing by all the time. I went to google and searched "airport name control tower phone number". I was given their generic airport line.

I called the number and hit 0 for the operator. I let her know I intended to fly a drone within the airspace. She already knew who I needed to talk to and gave me the direct number for the tower since she was unable to transfer me. I called the tower and after the initial pleasantries I let them know I was going to be flying a drone in a little bit. He asked where I would be flying. I let him know the cross streets were I was at. He was able to see on his end there wasn't a conflict. He asked what altitude I would be flying at. I advised him just over rooftop here so probably no more than 100 feet. He reminded me to keep it below 400 feet and call back when I am done flying. He said he would advise anyone that may be effected by me (helicopters more than likely). He thanked me for calling and we were off the phone. I flew through a couple batteries and called back to let them know I was finished flying.

The airport staff was very courteous and professional and gave me 0 flack. They thanked me for calling and in total between the two calls it took less than 5 minutes of my day to do the right thing.

I hope this helps with anyone who is curious about flying within control towered airspace.

I've had a similar experience, everyone has been very pleasant. They usually ask for my cell phone number in case they needed to reach me and also ask me to call when I'm done. I use the AirMap app, it usually has the direct number to call for each airport (I've only had to look up 1 number that wasn't listed).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123