DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Norway, Sweden and Denmark

carlz_bird

Reactions
I am going on a trip on Norway, Sweden and Denmark next month and will be bringing along my mavic pro with me. I wish to know several things..

1. Can I bring it along in a hand carry bag inside the plane? (SAS Airlines- Scandinavia Airlines) Or is it better to put it on a checked-in luggage to avoid hassle?
2. Does their rules and regulations for flying/bringing drones in their country all the same?

Cheers.

Last edited:
The rules for Danmark you can Google . "Drone regler Danmark" but over All. Max height 100m 150m to trafic road/ City Dont fly over crowds/ / must keep in line of sight. And most of All fly safe.

Reactions: carlz_bird
And of course dont fly near Airports or army bases. Cant remember the correct km. But it Will be showed in the rules. What i do when i fly in Danmark is I have printet the rules and have Them in my backpack so if people think they know the rules i can show Them.

Reactions: carlz_bird
Sweden is a no-no. They have a ban on drones right now.. Well technically not on drones, but they're applying the same privacy law on drones than on surveillance cameras, so until they fix the law... don't fly there, or do it well away from civilization...

Reactions: dewster
Sweden is a no-no. They have a ban on drones right now.. Well technically not on drones, but they're applying the same privacy law on drones than on surveillance cameras, so until they fix the law... don't fly there, or do it well away from civilization...
Wow, really? Thats surprising, and informative.
I've heard this is also the case in Spain, which is a bummer for me since I annualy travel there on vacation.

Privacy laws are going extreme in some countries. I would certainly check if you could even bring it into Sweden. I think you need permission to also film property from "surveillance cameras".

Thanks for the information.
But I can bring it along right? I mean if I am in the airport and passing through immigration or customs, they won't confiscate it or something isn't it?

I found this video in youtube with regards on flying drones in sweden, not really sure whether is reliable or not.

Flying drones | Visby Airport

Wow, really? Thats surprising, and informative.
I've heard this is also the case in Spain, which is a bummer for me since I annualy travel there on vacation.

Nope, it's not the case in Spain if you're just flying for yourself.

Spain is:

120AGL
VLOS
Not over anywhere where other persons are.

Reactions: n0gga

Hi
This is not correct. There is no drones ban in Sweden. Not going into the details of this (other debate).
The privacy protection law in Sweden has recently been interpreted to include cameras on drones. BUT, you can still use a drone albeit without a camera, you can take pictures or film a private property (with permission) and if you are not a Swedish citizen, have your servers in an other EU country, you can do whaterver you like (of course not near an airport, 120m max, LOS), since the law applies only to Swedish firms.
Weird, I know. That's the beauty of Sweden.

Fly safe!

Thanks for the information.
But I can bring it along right? I mean if I am in the airport and passing through immigration or customs, they won't confiscate it or something isn't it?

I found this video in youtube with regards on flying drones in sweden, not really sure whether is reliable or not.

Flying drones | Visby Airport

Taking a drone on a plane is authorised, as long as the policy of the specific Airline doesnt say something else.
With regards to batteries, you can take as many as you want as long as they are below 100W (which is the case for the Mavic) and max 2 from 101-160W.

Nope, it's not the case in Spain if you're just flying for yourself.

Spain is:

120AGL
VLOS
Not over anywhere where other persons are.
Okay, I got the impressions from another forum that locals actually don't buy drones because of fines being delivered out by local police. But do they have any requirements regarding certificates? Or is it common sense and the three points you gave me?
In that case I will gladly bring my drone this summer!

Okay, I got the impressions from another forum that locals actually don't buy drones because of fines being delivered out by local police. But do they have any requirements regarding certificates? Or is it common sense and the three points you gave me?
In that case I will gladly bring my drone this summer!

I'm Spanish although I don't live in Spain anymore. I was there a few months ago and had no issues flying (one of the flights the police came just to ask how much it costs, how does it look like and if it was easy to fly, etc...)

Now... I belong to a couple Spanish Mavic pilots groups and people is freaking out a bit. Some people point to certain fines (expensive ones) issued by the Spanish Airspace Agency (AESA). Of all of them, I've only seen fines issued for flying commercially without a license (Commercial work requires one) Some people say that your drone have to be labeled with your personal ID, some others that it's not needed for recreational, a guy said somebody was fined because his drone wasn't labeled... I'd suggest to just label your drone with your personal details (to be on the safe side) and keep yourself away from the people... and you should be fine.

The law is supposed to change by around summer, and it's not yet clear how it'll affect the recreational flights. Technically it shouldn't change much... but we'll see.

The current law in Sweden states that it is not allowed to fly your drone if it has a camera. To follow the law you are required to get a permit (which is both expensive and highly unlikely to get due to the fact that the ban is related to camera surveillance and "personal integrity". A drone with a camera is classified as "permanently mounted surveillance camera").

However, as long as you don't do anything stupid (fly over crowds, fly in restricted air space etc.) you will most certainly not get in any problems (our police have other things to do...). As far as I know no one has been charged with flying a camera drone in Sweden.

I'm doing the same trip later this month. Can you tell me if you had any issues in any of these countries?

Thanks!

I did not encountered a problem having my drone hand-carried both international and domestic flights entering those countries.

SWEDEN
It was the time of the terrorist attack in Stockholm and there are lots of people and police on the streets. I didn't risk on flying it

DENMARK
Copenhagen was fine, just stay away from crowded places, I recommend to get up early so there is not much people yet.

NORWAY
Weather was very unpredictable in Bergen but this is where I really enjoyed flying it because of the its scenery and landscapes.

Hope these helps.
Cheers

Hey everyone, a quick urgent question: I'm flying to Denmark early tomorrow (Tuesday) morning - so hours from now. I want to bring my Mavic. I just found this website that says in Denmark you need to tell police about every UAV flight 24 hours in advance (New Danish drone rules in 2016 and 2017).. but I can't find that anywhere else online.. from everything else I can find online it seems to say it's ok to fly as long as you follow fairly typical rules (keep under 100m altitude, away from built up areas, etc). Does anyone who's flown in Denmark know anything about this police notification thing? Doesn't seem worth the trouble.. but since it's only on this one non-government website I'm hoping it's a mistake.

It also says you need to get some kind of drone certificate and be insured, but again this is the only place I've seen that. Thoughts?

From my experience I didn't had problem flying it in Denmark.. I didn't acquire some certificate of some sort..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake