DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in rain

Oyibo VFX

Reactions
I don't expect the MP to have even any IP class but was wondering if any of you here ever flew the Mavic in (severe) rain.

Raining season will start here soon and might be some nice muddy footage ahead

Me

Adventure is just bad planning

It's not a good idea to fly the Mavic in any type of precipitation since it's not waterproof.

It's going to have implications later, if any rain gets in the camera you might be (at best) battling condensation for days.
But clearly no need to panic if you get caught out it can probably continue flying for several minutes.

Reactions: dewster
.....and putting it in rice afterwards will minimize the risk of having condesation or corrosion later I guess. Happily it isn´t falling off the sky when it gets wet ;)

.....and putting it in rice afterwards will minimize the risk of having condesation or corrosion later I guess. Happily it isn´t falling off the sky when it gets wet ;)

I see that people often use/recommend rice as a drying agent. I get that it does absorb moisture, but it also is very dusty. I've rescued a camera before using rice, and while the electronics did dry out, I had very fine dust inside the equipment. Some of it got on the sensor and inside of the lens - making the view cloudy.

I would suggest that if you plan on getting your MP (or any other electrical equipment that has optics) wet, pay a little more to get proper desiccant. Think of the "do not eat" silica gel bags you get in most modern electronic shipments... Just a larger bag, put inside a bag/container large enough to house both the desiccant and the electronics.

I see that people often use/recommend rice as a drying agent. I get that it does absorb moisture, but it also is very dusty. I've rescued a camera before using rice, and while the electronics did dry out, I had very fine dust inside the equipment. Some of it got on the sensor and inside of the lens - making the view cloudy.

I would suggest that if you plan on getting your MP (or any other electrical equipment that has optics) wet, pay a little more to get proper desiccant. Think of the "do not eat" silica gel bags you get in most modern electronic shipments... Just a larger bag, put inside a bag/container large enough to house both the desiccant and the electronics.
Desiccant/silica packs are fantastic! I am lucky because I receive 2 pound bags inside shipments I receive in my warehouse. I save them, dry them in the oven and use them to dry the moisture out of my ski boots after a day on the slopes! They are available on Amazon.

Silica packs are the better solution for sure. If I use rice, I use the "paboiled" version wich is packed in plastic bags for cooking. This rice is cleaned before and it is easier to remove the bags than simple rice. Put it in a closed box together with the electronic device. It won´t get any dirt on the device and the rice does the same job.

Water and electricity ............ erm
It's at relatively low voltage and DC, just like circuitry on a car getting wet doesn't mean immediate sparks, however inside there's plenty of micro-circuitry and components which could be affected sooner or later.

The internals look less vulnerable than on Phantoms which had slot vents in the arms.
Mavic depends on forced ventilation from a fan behind the gimbal.
It's slightly shielded but is going to spray water inside once it starts running over the body.
The dome might help a bit if you really needed to go out in slight rain.
Motors are unlikely to be affected but want drying out ASAP afterwards.

Reactions: iFlyForFun

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio