DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Spots mode with the gimbal cover attached

deltalimatango

Reactions
As flying in Sports mode can exert extra pressure on the gimbal and camera assemblies, has anyone here flown with the gimbal cover on? I know in bright sunshine, the gimbal cover can cause sun flare as the light is bounced around inside the cover before it makes it to the lens and then sensor. However, on less cloudy days, this really should not be much of an issue. The idea just popped into my head as a more or less proof of concept rather than an actual practice.

Reactions: Trustinclark
Don't really see the point with the extra pressure. What kind of pressure do you mean??
For photos and videos the gimbal cover will always reduce the image quality. Flare from direct sunlight is just the extreme...

Reactions: Pushpak
Don't really see the point with the extra pressure. What kind of pressure do you mean??
For photos and videos the gimbal cover will always reduce the image quality. Flare from direct sunlight is just the extreme...

Flying in Sports Mode is faster than flying in non-sports mode. Naturally the gimbal and camera assemblies are subject to the additional wind pressure. Also, as I pointed out I was referring to flying on a cloudy or less sunny day, so the sun flares would not be an issue.

Wind pressure? So what? Mavic is built and tested for the sports mode speed. Just don't bother.

As I said before: the gimbal cover will always reduce the image quality. Even in cloudy conditions. It's just another pair of air/plastic plastic/air transitions for the light. Plus it's a curved one. Couldn't be worse for your image quality.

Reactions: Slantnose79
Wind pressure? So what? Mavic is built and tested for the sports mode speed. Just don't bother.

As I said before: the gimbal cover will always reduce the image quality. Even in cloudy conditions. It's just another pair of air/plastic plastic/air transitions for the light. Plus it's a curved one. Couldn't be worse for your image quality.

1. I don't think you are understanding my question fully. Had I not known about the build and testing of the Mavic, I wouldn't have asked, but considering several have mentioned/complained about gimbal shake when flying in Sports Mode, it made me wonder. Again, this is more theoretical than actual something I would do daily.
2. I am a photographer so I know quite well how light, filters, objects in front of the filters work. Being round has little to do with image quality. Have you seen the Nikon 14-24mm, or the Tamron 16-35mm lenses? If not, go take a look and then come back and tell me who a curved surface is a problem.

Finally, this was just a proof of concept as you don't really know the answer, nor do I. You are guessing, which is fine, but your opinion doesn't appear to be based on actual facts, which is also fine but they should be put forth as opinions.

Wind pressure is only one factor, dynamic accelerations and more abrupt attitude changes of the aircraft are there too and most likely actually more of a problem.

The gimbal will shake and be jolted in Sports mode and it's due to the entire conception of the Mavic, not much you'll be able to do about it. Simply not made to get good footage in that mode.

1. True. I thought you were referring to the mechanical stability. Not the video shaking.
I can confirm that the video does shake during quick acceleration or when stopping hard.
It does so regardless of the cover being there or not.
That is a fact for my Mavic at least :)

2. Me a photographer too. So we agree on any material between the object and the image sensor of the camera is deteriorating image quality. I think you will also agree on the fact that a well calculated lens from optical glass in a camera lens is different from injection molded plastic...

As flying in Sports mode can exert extra pressure on the gimbal and camera assemblies, has anyone here flown with the gimbal cover on? I know in bright sunshine, the gimbal cover can cause sun flare as the light is bounced around inside the cover before it makes it to the lens and then sensor. However, on less cloudy days, this really should not be much of an issue. The idea just popped into my head as a more or less proof of concept rather than an actual practice.

I fly the bird 9/10 times in sports and always without the gimbal cover as it prevents it from over-heating (if at all). The gimbal cover is just a piece of cheap plastic designed to protect the gimbal, not optical quality glass.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Egika
As mentioned above, I thought the Mavic was designed to work without the gimbal cover, to allow ventilation. There is also the problem with the props becoming visible in sports mode. It sounds to me it's altogether a bad idea to fly with the cover on.

Wind pressure is only one factor, dynamic accelerations and more abrupt attitude changes of the aircraft are there too and most likely actually more of a problem.

The gimbal will shake and be jolted in Sports mode and it's due to the entire conception of the Mavic, not much you'll be able to do about it. Simply not made to get good footage in that mode.

Finally. Thank you. Again, my idea was more conceptual than maybe even practical. It was more or less a though argument.

I fly the bird 9/10 times in sports and always without the gimbal cover as it prevents it from over-heating (if at all). The gimbal cover is just a piece of cheap plastic designed to protect the gimbal, not optical quality glass.

Good point about the cooling. There have been some guys who have drilled holes into their protectors so that they can fly with it on. Nice for them but I am not so interested. Agreed that it is cheap plastic.

As mentioned above, I thought the Mavic was designed to work without the gimbal cover, to allow ventilation. There is also the problem with the props becoming visible in sports mode. It sounds to me it's altogether a bad idea to fly with the cover on.

Agreed again. I never said I flew with it on. I was asking has anyone done it just to see the results.

As a photographer, would you shoot hockey through the glass or through the photo holes or the bench/penalty box?

How about a landscape through the car window?

Would you shoot through any window for that matter if you didn't have to?

Reflections, dirt, scratches, distortion. Only include things you want in the shot.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

As a photographer, would you shoot hockey through the glass or through the photo holes or the bench/penalty box?

How about a landscape through the car window?

Would you shoot through any window for that matter if you didn't have to?

Reflections, dirt, scratches, distortion. Only include things you want in the shot.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Hmmmm........

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom