DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the cargo hold of a bulk carrier...

MacPap

Reactions
Hi,

ok this is a new one for me. I was asked to make a video of a large bulk carrier and after flying around it etc I am supposed to fly into one of its cargo holds. I do not anticipate much problems since the cover is huge and will be open. At open sea GPS signal is strong.
But I was wondering if one is supposed (for any reason) to fly essentially inside a large (and this thing is large) metal box how would the Mavic react. No GPS, propably no compass, plenty of light though.
Does anyone have any experience with that sort of situations? Any ideas?

Kostas

Reactions: Hellsbellsidaho
Does the job pay as much as it would cost to replace your Mavic? This one is probably tricky since you can't physically switch into ATTI mode.

Hi,

ok this is a new one for me. I was asked to make a video of a large bulk carrier and after flying around it etc I am supposed to fly into one of its cargo holds. I do not anticipate much problems since the cover is huge and will be open. At open sea GPS signal is strong.
But I was wondering if one is supposed (for any reason) to fly essentially inside a large (and this thing is large) metal box how would the Mavic react. No GPS, propably no compass, plenty of light though.

Kostas
I have flown in Military quonset huts that were covered in so much foliage no signal would get through, I put it on tripod and was very careful, no issues. Good Luck.
Regards,
-d.

you could always get a rider for your mavic for that one shoot.
Regards,
-d.

Hi,

Kostas

Is this going to be moving or parked?

I can only image the issues you might run into if it does have GPS reception and your in a moving vessel while its trying to hold GPS.

Someone else mention tripod mode which will only slow it down while the ship might be moving faster then you can keep it moving.

@ DodgeP
- No but it is sort of a test to see if we (me and my partner) can do this. At some point we had to try anyway.

@ Bunny Too
-thx a lot for the wishes...
- I am afraid I CAN'T add a rider....

@integlikewhoa
- It is going to be on anker.... So I guess it will be moving but not in light speed. After all it is a 80.000 tons vessel.

Is this going to be moving or parked?

I can only image the issues you might run into if it does have GPS reception and your in a moving vessel while its trying to hold GPS.

Someone else mention tripod mode which will only slow it down while the ship might be moving faster then you can keep it moving.[/QUOTE
You'd be surprised how fast 10 knots is when you're in confined space.
Especially when it is the mavic doing 10 kt in your confined basement.
Regard,
-d

Last edited:
Well being sailing for years now I know exactly how much 10 knots is but haven't seen an 80.000 ton ship move at that speed while on anker! ;-)
One never knows however...

You should be fine, however just be prepared to take action when and if it looses GPS and switches from P to Atti in the hold. Also all the steel will affect compass so be ready. Pity you could not start off in the hold and fly out that way when you take off you have more expectations off somthing going wrong and close to hold bottom and already in Atti then fly out into full control if all is well.

Thank you dragonfly. I will assess the situation tomorrow once there. The only thing that I am almost certain of is calibrating everything while on shore. The ship is only 3 miles further in. If I have time ill do a start from the hold just for the sake of doing it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada