DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in very cold environment

Late

Reactions
I guess basic measures are to keep the batteries warm and let Mavic cool down. Then monitor battery voltage and temperature while flying. How well Mavic works when it gets between -25 and -30 Celcius? Should I be worried about some moving parts like motors and gimbal?

I fly regularly in fairly cold weather.
I had one issue arise at -16 deg. C (- 20 with windchill). When in flight, it gave me a red "low battery temperature" warning. I believe that this is indicative of uneven discharge and that this might cause imminent malfunction (I ended the flight without problem).
I have seen posts of people flying in colder temps than that, but for me I now draw the line at -12 deg. C or so.
I never had any other issue (motors, gimbal).

Reactions: Late
Did you check what was the temperature of the battery? My DJI Phantom 3 Standard did warm the battery from around 10 C to around 25-30 still in those conditions.

Did you check what was the temperature of the battery? My DJI Phantom 3 Standard did warm the battery from around 10 C to around 25-30 still in those conditions.
From the flight data:
Battery temperature is flat at 89.6 deg. F all the way (strange that it is so flat during all of the flight...).
Note that in the "General Page" it shows "max batt temp" at 32.0 deg. F.

-24 C was too cold. After six minute flight RC and iPhone 6S got disconnected. When RC was already cold they didn't even connect so I suspect it is the RC. I kept iPhone running with help of Mophie battery case. Has anyone else seen this? Is it the RC and what might be the limit?

Mavic was performing well. Battery did warm from initial 13 C to at least 20 C during the flight.

Hi, I flew with temperatures around -20°C (-30°c windchill) but after 6/7minutes, my iPhone shutdown! The RC was still ok and I was able to flight back without problem. The phone seems to be the weak part with low temperatures.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots