DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying into direct sunlight

Curious to know if using a filter may help in this situation. Probably not, but has anyone experienced an obstacle avoidance caused by the sun while having a ND filter installed?

Yes, I had a DJI ND4 mounted, was flying towards facing a low sun (10 mins before sunset) at around 200ft and OA came on.

Curious to know if using a filter may help in this situation. Probably not, but has anyone experienced an obstacle avoidance caused by the sun while having a ND filter installed?

Actually the filters make it a lot worse and I don't know why. When I was using the 0200 firmware, I had no problems with RTH even into the sun. When I used the DJI filters, the RTH just would not work into the sun. Now have the 0400 firmware and RTH won't work into the sun even without the filters so it is now worse than before. Even has problems when the sun is at an angle above the camera and sensors.

Actually the filters make it a lot worse and I don't know why. When I was using the 0200 firmware, I had no problems with RTH even into the sun. When I used the DJI filters, the RTH just would not work into the sun. Now have the 0400 firmware and RTH won't work into the sun even without the filters so it is now worse than before. Even has problems when the sun is at an angle above the camera and sensors.
Correct me if I'm missing something here, but the filters go on the camera lens, and not the OA sensors. So, on or off, the filters would have zero effect on the sensors vs. sun issue.

Kevin

Haven't tried, but I think they can. After my episode I realized when the Mavic stops when heading into the sun, just spin it backwards and fly home.
Or if you have enough battery, you can serpentine, steer left for a while, then right. It's what I did and it got me home.

This is an old thread and an old problem but both still exist.

How has this issue not been addressed yet?
I read on another thread, a member told another that the OA was detecting the sun.
At first I thought it was crazy talk, but then yesterday it happened to me.
I didn't panic but it was a stressful few minutes. I ended up traversing to the right because that was the only direction it would go untill I remembered about the sport mode. Once I put it in sport it came back no problem.

My question for you guys is, when this happened to you, did you get the OA warning on your RC? I did not get any warning at all.

I am getting this obstacle avoidance problem a lot when flying into the sun especially now that it is winter in the southern hemisphere. I like to have my obstacle avoidance on since there is a many bird species here that see the Mavic as a kestrel and try to chase the drone away. My solution to the sun problem and bird problem is switching to SPORT MODE when I am certain that there is no birds around. In known areas with bird problems I will fly high (+- 100 meters) and my ultimate weapon is switch to SPORT MODE to get rid of attackers.

I had this happen all the time this past winter with low sun angles. That I know of, there are 3 approaches to deal with this - (1) turn off OA; (2) switch to Sport mode; (3) don't fly straight toward the sun but tack like a sailboat going upwind.

Reactions: Rooi valk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000