DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying low over water

Grab some popcorn and get ready for LOTS of conflicting and confusing information.

Based on my personal experience, just disable your downward vision positioning sensors. With these on your drone will continually try to raise up and you will need to VERY closely monitor it to ensure that it stays where you want it.

I'm assuming that you will be flying relatively close to the water - say 5ish feet off the water. If you're going to be way up in the air... doesn't matter.

I fly over water alot and stay about 10' up and have found if I tilt my camera down just a bit it looks like I'm almost right on it and like Turnerm said also .

Reactions: Budmancan
I fly over water alot and stay about 10' up and have found if I tilt my camera down just a bit it looks like I'm almost right on it and like Turnerm said also .
Excellent advice. Sometimes though you need to get down lower due to the tree canopy. Most of the creeks around me seem to have trees that crouch down about 8ish feet off the water and even lower in some spots. Makes for some beautiful scenes but not the most drone friendly flying ever!!

Reactions: fangio86
Agree but my water I fly is open and I fly off quite abit . We have those jumping carp here now and in that open water that would be a mess to spook one of them as they all go nuts . I have flew over some where you see the water moving from the props in creeks and does make some good footage .

Reactions: rich5354
I love flying low over water. Yesterday I did a low flying about 5'-6' above water, flying sideways at up to 50kph (VPS off), it looked like I am filming from a speedboat :)

I usually fly with VPS off, so I never pay attention to what to settings to turn off or on. Just make sure the area you are flying is clear and away from people.

Turn landing protection off. Otherwise it may initiate an auto landing. I had a near miss because I did not know about this.

Reactions: Budmancan
Turn landing protection off. Otherwise it may initiate an auto landing. I had a near miss because I did not know about this.
That can happen only if you will pull the throttle stick fully back for seconds.
I like the landing protection over water which prevents the Mavic from touching the water if flying extremely low. But I have floats attached to be on the safe side.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada