DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mavic Downtown

playboz

Reactions
Hello fellow Mavic owners!

I am going to Atlanta Georgia and wanted to take my drone along with me. Does anybody know if there are special regulations for flying around tall buildings as I definitely don't want to break any rules or regulations. Where could I get this information? Also does anybody know a good place to fly around there?

Thanks in advance!

I think that as a matter of common sense that one shouldn't fly drones around tall buildings. For one, there is always the risk of an accident and hitting the tower with your drone, and that can lead to big legal and other problems for you. It also makes all of us drone owners look bad and leads to further restrictions on flying drones. We already all have to register our drones with the FAA because a few drone flying idiots have flown their drones into the flight paths of airplanes at airports.

Your best bet is to find out what the rules are at the Atlanta parks.

Reactions: Miko
Plus wind vortices that comes off the building. It's only common sense to stay away from tall buildings unless you are doing it for business, then you have insurance just in case something happens.

I just found this online. Where I'll be staying there are no "No Fly zones". So I'm good to go! If you weren't allowed to fly then it'd be marked! So ya, before posting an educated response, you should probably do some research and refrain from just posting an opinion and NOT the law.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 11.55.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 11.55.00 AM.png
    687.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Reactions: Anthonyk
I'll be in Atlanta next week and plan on bringing my Mavic as well. I looked into it and from what I've read online it sounds like Piedmont Park is a good place to fly. Apparently lots of people fly there. It's far enough away from airports and it's a park, so no tall buildings.

Reactions: Wombat55
I just found this online. Where I'll be staying there are no "No Fly zones". So I'm good to go! If you weren't allowed to fly then it'd be marked! So ya, before posting an educated response, you should probably do some research and refrain from just posting an opinion and NOT the law.

Uhhhh. So let me get this straight: Since the map you presented shows that much of downtown Atlanta is not within the blue circles indicating airports and heliports, you're thinking that it's OK to fly your drone near the tall buildings of downtown Atlanta?

Forget those pesky rules about flying over people and such....

Flying in any type of downtown is probably not a good idea, no matter if it is controlled airspace or not. The buildings, wind, congestion, and all the people just make it very dangerous period.

Uhhhh. So let me get this straight: Since the map you presented shows that much of downtown Atlanta is not within the blue circles indicating airports and heliports, you're thinking that it's OK to fly your drone near the tall buildings of downtown Atlanta?

Go tell that to people who fly in NYC and everybody on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Go tell that to people who fly in NYC and everybody on YouTube.

There is a free app called AirMap. Do yourself a favor and get it. It has up to date restriction data and handy dandy phone numbers to let ATC know you are in the area and request flight permissions.

Reactions: Miko
There is a free app called AirMap. Do yourself a favor and get it. It has up to date restriction data and handy dandy phone numbers to let ATC know you are in the area and request flight permissions.

Awesome, thank you so much!

Besides all the legal mumbo-jumbo, Tall buildings have very turbulent wind velocities that cannot be anticipated surrounding the top and sides of the building.

Piedmont Park is fine. Just follow the usual rules of not being over large crowds or events, not straying over roads, and keeping the drone in your line of sight. I took these two pictures there today!

DJI_0072_2_Web.jpg DJI_0076_2_Web.jpg

Reactions: Macmad
Oh, and check this paragraph out in the link that I posted:

"While Seattle doesn’t currently have any drone ordinances, it’s considering charging the drone owner with reckless endangerment, a gross misdemeanor which could carry a penalty of up to 364 days in jail and a $5,000 fine."

So if sometime soon people are complaining here that Seattle has completely cracked down on all drone flying within its city limits, you know who is to blame and what motivated Seattle to crack down. It's a familiar story: All it takes is a few people or even one person acting irresponsibly to ruin things for everyone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters