DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near airports - possible?

pashley

Reactions
Strongly considering purchasing a Mavic. My question is, can you fly within 5 miles of an airport, OR does DJI lock you out?

I ask this because as a Yuneec owner, this IS the case (though there is a workaround).

I don't intend to be flying haphazardly near an airport; I have my Part 107 license, as I have an aerial photography biz. I just want to be sure I'm not locked out when I must take a shot of a house 100' feet up and 4 miles from the airport!

Reactions: Lone Wolf 58
I can't speak for various ranges, but there are a lot of little grass strips (crop dusting) and one airport that is on the opposite side of a mountain from me that are within 5 miles of an airport. The mavic will warn me that I am within 5 miles, but will allow me to fly. If I am already flying, it will warn me as I enter the 5 mile range. The closest I have ever flown to any of these airports is 4.5mi.

That said... there is a new section in the app for opening authorized NFZ areas, so it looks like in the future, you'll have to manually unlock areas via your PC, and the unlock lasts for a maximum of 2 days. But that is just speculation on my part.

I live 3 miles from my regional airport and I can fly there with no problem at all. Without my 107 I fly for fun and I only have to inform the airport. I have an agreement with them and I just fly anytime now without any conversations with them. After I get my 107 then I don't even have to notify them based on my distance from the airport. The only time I would have to do anything is when I was within 1.5 miles or on the actual facility, which I am going to do later this summer. The airport manager asked if I would bring the MP over when she had a summer camp of kids coming in for a tour so they could see a UAS up close and see how it works.

If it is controlled airspace you will need an unlock otherwise it won't even take off, even indoors (my office is across the street from KASE and I figured I'd see what happens if attempted). I've flown within 5 miles of an uncontrolled airport in class G and I got a window on the app that had a checkbox that I had to click basically acknowledging I have permission/followed the rules to fly in the area (which I did). The area where I do most of my flying is in class G with 2 private grass strip airports and a "paper" heliport (no actual heliport, just that the local medical clinic applied for one - in fact there's no place they could land one anywhere near where the sectional says it is), and I get a yellow warning box every time I take off, but otherwise no issues.

Could all change at any time though...

Some morning humor, once you had your coffee:

Remove your UAS from all FAA regulations authority.

How? Just fly it with some light weight fishing line attached. Now it is a kite. :D It is technically attached to the ground. Mostly good for vertical flying overhead.

As far as I know, you call your nearest airport control tower or manager, tell them you ahve a question about drones, and let 'em know how far from the airport you are/where you are when you fly, about what times of day you'll be doing it, how high up you intend to get, and your contact number.

They might also want your FAA registration if you have it. Not sure where we stand with those things lately, but it's nice to have a sort-of license plate so you can go "FA-####-####? Yeah, that one's mine," if you need to.

Reactions: Dahveed
It does not lock you as of today. I have flown near (3-5 miles and little airports) a couple of airports and a military base (4.5 miles away and only below treetop) and only get a warning.

Reactions: Lone Wolf 58
Live 3.8 mi.from airport tower. Sent tower letter per FAA suggestion of notification to fly. Tower called. "No problem, under 400 ft. Had nice chat.
He appreciated my letter, and to call any time if I have questions.

No issues within.NFZ. Due to air show TRF Inforced by dji and Mavic would not fly.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest