DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying on Long Island, NY

thekaijin

Reactions
Hi all - I will be visiting family in Long Island later this week and next week as well - bringing the MP of course.

Any pilots out there have any advice for flying beaches at this time of year? I won't fly on weekends when it is busy and school is still in so the weekdays will be pretty empty.

Also, any NFZ that I should be aware of? I will be in the Southhampton area FYI.

Thanks for anyone who has advice or can help.

I know Suffolk had introduced a bill a year or so ago that would prohibit drones flying over beaches from 5/15-9/15. not sure whatever happened with it.

A lot of small airports plus Gabreski ... could take a lot of phone calls ...

View attachment 14510

The beach I wanted to fly was actually between the Gabreski and Easthampton radii -
22413057bf5a63771456459a1de2cc1f.jpg

The little green section directly to the right of the gabreski radius is what I will be flying so I'm good right? My map is different than your's as far as the Easthampton boundary is concerned though.

The beach I wanted to fly was actually between the Gabreski and Easthampton radii -
22413057bf5a63771456459a1de2cc1f.jpg

The little green section directly to the right of the gabreski radius is what I will be flying so I'm good right? My map is different than your's as far as the Easthampton boundary is concerned though.

Aviation maps don't show town boundaries very well. They attempt to show populated areas (yellow) (and don't do that especially well).

If it's the green section near the ocean, then you still have to inform the helicopter operator to the northeast. For caution find out where the gliders to the south east are operating out of and inform if needed - I see what may be glider trailers at Spadaro and there is another airport immediately to the west of that ( 150 metres west)

If it's a park, there may be local rules (city/county) in effect for drones. Check it out.

The only things that count are safety and legality. Start with the link below. 5 miles from _any_ airport, controlled or otherwise is an issue. So if you're closer than 5 miles to an uncontrolled airport you have to inform them of when, where and how high you'll be flying. Obviously avoid the approach and departure paths of these airports. Controlled airport: call the tower operator with very clear information about when/where/height and ask permission.

Getting Started

Reactions: thekaijin
Aviation maps don't show town boundaries very well. They attempt to show populated areas (yellow) (and don't do that especially well).

If it's the green section near the ocean, then you still have to inform the helicopter operator to the northeast. For caution find out where the gliders to the south east are operating out of and inform if needed - I see what may be glider trailers at Spadaro and there is another airport immediately to the west of that ( 150 metres west)

If it's a park, there may be local rules (city/county) in effect for drones. Check it out.

The only things that count are safety and legality. Start with the link below. 5 miles from _any_ airport, controlled or otherwise is an issue. So if you're closer than 5 miles to an uncontrolled airport you have to inform them of when, where and how high you'll be flying. Obviously avoid the approach and departure paths of these airports. Controlled airport: call the tower operator with very clear information about when/where/height and ask permission.

Getting Started

Thanks, all very helpful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair