DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over mountain

christian0707

Reactions
I understand that 400 feet is the maximum altitude allow by the FAA, but when flying to a mountain and ascending on a 45 degree angle,400 feet in relation to home is reached quikly and the mavic wont go any higher even though the mavic is 50 feet high at the moment in relation to the the terrain beneath. Is it ok in that scenario to raise the altitude in the settings to keep climbing the mountain as long as the 400 feet rule is observed ?Cause you usually get a warning from dji if editing altitude over 400. In reality, the altitude in relation to the ground beneath the mavic will never exceed the 400 limit, but in relation to the homepoint it would be about 800 feet.
P.S sorry for my grammar,english not my first language [emoji28]

Reactions: Viper
That is correct the rule is 400 feet AGL (above ground level). Which means if the mountain is 2000 feet then you get to fly up to 2400 feet. Barring other airspace restrictions.

Reactions: Falcon1az
So isit ok to edit the height in settings and increase it? As long as the real AGL is less than 400?

No the rule has not changed. Still 400 feet AGL and yes you can edit to allow for 400 AGL.

I understand that 400 feet is the maximum altitude allow by the FAA, but when flying to a mountain and ascending on a 45 degree angle,400 feet in relation to home is reached quikly and the mavic wont go any higher even though the mavic is 50 feet high at the moment in relation to the the terrain beneath. Is it ok in that scenario to raise the altitude in the settings to keep climbing the mountain as long as the 400 feet rule is observed ?Cause you usually get a warning from dji if editing altitude over 400. In reality, the altitude in relation to the ground beneath the mavic will never exceed the 400 limit, but in relation to the homepoint it would be about 800 feet.
P.S sorry for my grammar,english not my first language [emoji28]

If you're a recreational flyer in the US, then there is no 400' AGL regulation. This is a common mistake due to the separate regulation for Part 107 certified sUAS pilots. It is, however, a good practice regardless. So, to your initial post, if you're flying in a mountainous or hilly area, feel free to set your Mavic max altitude to whatever you need, but be sure to set your RTH accordingly!

If you're a recreational flyer in the US, then there is no 400' AGL regulation. This is a common mistake due to the separate regulation for Part 107 certified sUAS pilots. It is, however, a good practice regardless. So, to your initial post, if you're flying in a mountainous or hilly area, feel free to set your Mavic max altitude to whatever you need, but be sure to set your RTH accordingly!
I'm one of those who gets easily confused. How does that jive with "Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible." on the FAA website for hobby flyers?

I'm one of those who gets easily confused. How does that jive with "Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible." on the FAA website for hobby flyers?
If it's on the FAA site - I'd refer to that as gospel, regardless of others' ability to interpret between the lines.

Reactions: halley

I respectfully disagree strafe. The FAA created the guidelines for ALL drones. By your logic, you are saying that recreational flyers can get away with flying in restricted airspace, which is not the case.

Please post your information regarding your height restrictions.
This is on the FAA website, for hobby fliers vs. Part 107 fliers:
getting started.png

I respectfully disagree strafe. The FAA created the guidelines for ALL drones. By your logic, you are saying that recreational flyers can get away with flying in restricted airspace, which is not the case.
The FAA created SEPARATE guidelines for sUAS's. Hobby fliers have different guidelines from commercial fliers. See post above. Recreational fliers are strongly discouraged from flying in restricted airspace as endangering NAS is a big no-no and you can (and likely will) be held accountable. Above 400 AGL is not restricted airspace for recreational fliers, if that is what you are referring to. If you wouldn't mind posting FAA regulations to the contrary, I would love to see it. I state these facts to help eliminate incorrect information, especially from posters trying to "police" others for their own enjoyment, particularly with those that make up rules to help make their case. I happen to believe that safety comes first, and flying with complete understanding of your surroundings and the airspace you occupy is paramount. Reckless flying is absolutely intolerable and should be pointed out when needed, hammered home if required. But with factual information.
Andy, if you don't already know, there is Public Law referencing all this information, and there is FAA interpretation of that law. From that, FAA guidelines have been established. Since this is all fairly new, many people are confused between the two groups of sUAS pilots. Understandably so. But the distinction is real, and recognized by the FAA.

Last edited:
If it's on the FAA site - I'd refer to that as gospel, regardless of others' ability to interpret between the lines.
See my posting above, or go to the FAA website for yourself. It's a good thing to get the facts from the regulating body!

Reactions: sacballa

This has been discussed _many_ times in the past and confirmed by the FAA in writing. The 400' limit is not a regulation. it's a suggestion by the FAA only.

So isit ok to edit the height in settings and increase it? As long as the real AGL is less than 400?

Every time someone asks a question that even remotely refers to the FAA's 400' guideline, a firestorm of opposing interpretations always ensues.

Here's the most important thing to keep in mind: Keep your drone away from manned aircraft. That's it. If you go above 400' AGL and there are no aircraft around, you are going to be okay. Allow your maximum height to accommodate a reasonable RTH altitude for the surroundings.

Think of the mountains as as a giant stair, the home point is the beginning, and every step is a 100 feet increment and you are going to fly at 50 feet high on top of each step, in other words after 8 steps you'll be at 800 feet high in relation to the home point but at 50 feet AGL,, the dji app will think tha i went 800 feet straight up an it will seeit as a violation of the 400 feet rule when in fact i am 50'AGL , am i right?

The DJI Go4 app makes no judgement whether you are in compliance with a "400 feet rule". It doesn't care how high you go, as long as it is under 500M from the takeoff altitude. So go as high up that mountain as you dare. Just make sure you have enough battery to get home.

Please post your information regarding your height restrictions.
This is on the FAA website, for hobby fliers vs. Part 107 fliers:
View attachment 8856

This should put to bed all the drone police assumptions for "hobby" flying!! Seems black and white, you can fly at night and above 400 feet! But what I am not sure of is the "within 5 miles" does that mean you can as long as you make two phone calls?

Reactions: Hapa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada