DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Over Water

cbourke

Reactions
Are there any setting changes to consider before flying over water?

Do any of you do anything different before and during a flight over water?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I guess this sounds obvious,... Anyway, you would think it is. Be aware of your battery levels, and the wind. Youtube is full of videos taken by people who literally plunge toward the water just seconds from land, because they want to get back exactly at zero percent. One guy wound up on a sand bar and had to get a boat to rescue his phantom. You can see another stumbling through surf over rocks to get his. I don't know why people are determined to use every last bit of range to track down freighters, or sailboats, or a rock way out at sea, but with just a light offshore breeze you can see them sweating bullets trying to make it back.

You can't land short when you fly out over water.

Oh, yeah. Don't trust the sensors on the bottom over water, either. Forgot that one.

I guess this sounds obvious,... Anyway, you would think it is. Be aware of your battery levels, and the wind. Youtube is full of videos taken by people who literally plunge toward the water just seconds from land, because they want to get back exactly at zero percent. One guy wound up on a sand bar and had to get a boat to rescue his phantom. You can see another stumbling through surf over rocks to get his. I don't know why people are determined to use every last bit of range to track down freighters, or sailboats, or a rock way out at sea, but with just a light offshore breeze you can see them sweating bullets trying to make it back.

You can't land short when you fly out over water.

Oh, yeah. Don't trust the sensors on the bottom over water, either. Forgot that one.
Waves seem to confuse the forward sensors too. The manual talks about bottom sensors having an issue over the nap of the water so just be careful there. I haven't noticed that problem. I also had a battery problem due to an offshore wind. The % assumes no wind. It's no fun worrying about a "water landing." I'm seriously looking at those ball floats because I know "stuff happens."

Reactions: jerryflah
I kno they have water landing gear on amazon that really does work great, ive seen the videos and it allows mavic to land / take off from water no problems. Its like 30$ and puts a foam ball at each corner basicaly. Im going to buy that kit myself... just for peace of mind while i fly over water at times.
If you can afford it whynot add them to yr arsenal it cant hurt

Interesting float iteams. You would not want any waves at all. I wonder how much water would blow up from prop wash? Great for emergency situations. At least it would not sink.
Wonder how the balls lock on?

Got to let us know how it goes. Im very interested being in Hawaii

Interesting float iteams. You would not want any waves at all. I wonder how much water would blow up from prop wash? Great for emergency situations. At least it would not sink.
Wonder how the balls lock on?

Got to let us know how it goes. Im very interested being in Hawaii

Thanks for the Amazon notice. I'm gonna order a set right now. I could just make my own - already 3d printed extended feet - but I want to support this type of innovation.

Reactions: RallySoob
Thanks for the Amazon notice. I'm gonna order a set right now. I could just make my own - already 3d printed extended feet - but I want to support this type of innovation.

Cool. Plus its nice to let others do the r&d work.
They make a Black kit now if u dont want white fyi. I will get the black one myself.

I wonder how much u could shave off them and still work... maybe a different shape could look better/ more aero friendly. I would like to see a design where the balls were replaced for simulated landing skids. Ill buy an xtra kit see if i cant shave sumn up

Cool. Plus its nice to let others do the r&d work.
They make a Black kit now if u dont want white fyi. I will get the black one myself.

I wonder how much u could shave off them and still work... maybe a different shape could look better/ more aero friendly. I would like to see a design where the balls were replaced for simulated landing skids. Ill buy an xtra kit see if i cant shave sumn up
I'm getting white. I'm gonna be flying over the ocean and if it goes down, I want them easier to see. I might even spray them blaze orange. A wave may flip it so the balls will be all that shows. I'd prefer if they didn't continue the angle in as the narrowing makes it less stable but they just continued the existing angle.

Reactions: jointeffort
88e4bca7ab4ed15fbc874df422aed093.jpg
is this the same seller?

Too bad you can't exactly see how the balls get attached to the rear arms.

I saw some leg extensions that are for the rear arms only that resemble the front leg extensions. with that setup I could easily see attaching some styro balls to the bird.

Can someone please post the exact items to buy for this? Also an exact how to install? I am VERY interested in this setup. Heading to the Bahamas in a few weeks...

Rather than use the included balls, perhaps a length of pool noodle running between the front and back extensions would work and interfere with the camera less.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3