DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the Mavic into fireworks

Cyberpower678

Reactions
Yes, I know this sounds like a completely crazy and reckless idea, but I did recently see some drone footage of Fireworks from within the last radius on YouTube and the drone appeared to be unphased. It provided a spectacular video and since then, is something I considered doing if the risks are acceptable. I thought I would seek input from other Mavic pilots on this issue before even considering attempting it with my own.

We'll, I don't think you're breaking any guidelines. I mean they sure as hell aren't going to be shooting fireworks off directly over a crowd of people. I'd just be worried about a projectile hitting it and knocking it out of the sky. Some of those fireworks are the size of grenades lol

Wouldn't flying at night be the issue? I agree - the firerorks are very likely not to be over a crowd of people. Safe flying!

We'll, I don't think you're breaking any guidelines. I mean they sure as **** aren't going to be shooting fireworks off directly over a crowd of people. I'd just be worried about a projectile hitting it and knocking it out of the sky. Some of those fireworks are the size of grenades lol

That's the biggest concern, not the shock of the blast but rather getting hit by the rocket.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Guessing you saw the video below? I don't think it is an issue, you don't even need to be "in" the fireworks, just around the border of where they are being shot and you can still get good shots. That said if a firework hits your drone it will likely not phase it unless it explodes on your drone, I would just keep it at least a hundred feet in the air and if a firework bounces off of it the drone *should* be able to recover. That said always be prepared for anything (including the chance you will crash your Mavic) and like said above do not fly over people and make sure you have permission to fly where the fireworks will be.

I too fly at night, mind you I keep it well within VLOS. The only problem is that focusing tends to be an issue.

Filming bursts of fire are difficult to focus on when sporadic, unless it is a constant stream of explosions to focus on...
But definitely not impossible as seen in other videos, here is a video explaining some settings and what to look out for...

Reactions: J-Dub
Guessing you saw the video below? I don't think it is an issue, you don't even need to be "in" the fireworks, just around the border of where they are being shot and you can still get good shots. That said if a firework hits your drone it will likely not phase it unless it explodes on your drone, I would just keep it at least a hundred feet in the air and if a firework bounces off of it the drone *should* be able to recover. That said always be prepared for anything (including the chance you will crash your Mavic) and like said above do not fly over people and make sure you have permission to fly where the fireworks will be.

Something similar. The drone actually was within the explosions.

Are any of you guys Part 107 pilots? This goes against everything the FAA has said. I don't know if anybody knows this but very soon they are going to start slapping fines on people that don't follow the rules. Nighttime flight is not okay. Especially if there is a helicopter in the air anywhere near the fireworks. This gives us all a bad wrap to the FAA, if we continue to break the rules this will all just become something that could have been. Follow the **** rules, don't ruin this for us all.

Are any of you guys Part 107 pilots? This goes against everything the FAA has said. I don't know if anybody knows this but very soon they are going to start slapping fines on people that don't follow the rules. Nighttime flight is not okay. Especially if there is a helicopter in the air anywhere near the fireworks. This gives us all a bad wrap to the FAA, if we continue to break the rules this will all just become something that could have been. Follow the **** rules, don't ruin this for us all.

Part 107 applies to commercial use only, look up the rules for hobbyist and you will find there are no set rules for night flying, just like the 100MPH speed limit which applies to commercial pilots.

I think, if well planned, safety isn't as much of an issue as a is a public relations one. Someone flew one into our last fireworks display and the public went berserk.

The biggest problem, other than passing over crowds in-route is that the public generally goes crazy, and calls it a distraction. Then they complain to the local government, and then they try to make laws banning them.

The only other problem might be if a local FAA inspector tries to call it "careless and reckless" which I would argue (if properly planned) it is not, but they have a mind of their own sometimes.

This is all assuming it is not commercial of course.

I think, if well planned, safety isn't as much of an issue as a is a public relations one. Someone flew one into our last fireworks display and the public went berserk.

The biggest problem, other than passing over crowds in-route is that the public generally goes crazy, and calls it a distraction. Then they complain to the local government, and then they try to make laws banning them.

The only other problem might be if a local FAA inspector tries to call it "careless and reckless" which I would argue (if properly planned) it is not, but they have a mind of their own sometimes.

This is all assuming it is not commercial of course.
I am a hobbyist flyer, and I record landscapes because I find them beautiful. I've been a recreational flyer of RC planes for years, and ever since I got the Mavic, I've been flying a whole lot more. I always perform my pre-flight checks, analyze the flight logs on HealthyDrones and in remote areas, test the limits of the drone to see how far it can be pushed before I start to lose control. I am very well aware of it's limitations where I fly it, and abort the flight if a problem crops up. I have no intentions of flying recklessly with my Mavic, and certainly have no intentions of losing it.

Part 107 applies to commercial use only, look up the rules for hobbyist and you will find there are no set rules for night flying, just like the 100MPH speed limit which applies to commercial pilots.
Motley, although technically you are correct, but he has a point. These "guidelines", for hobby users, if continually ignored, and especially if resulting in an incident, will have a negative effect on our hobby. Do you really want to be that guy on the news? What they can get you on is "careless and reckless".
I am part 107 also, and as I stated in a reply above, it is a fine line we are walking right now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest