DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with and without obstructions.

bcltoys

Reactions
Hello new to the forum and drone's,the question I have is when flying with line of site it's said you can go a mile or so and keep a connection between the bird and the controller,how about flying around and over and down into heavy timber what kind of range might I get in these conditions.I like to watch wildlife and have a 1.5 square mile piece of timber with about a 25 acre grassy opening in the middle that deer love in the middle of summer but its all but impossible to get there without spooking them.

how about flying around and over and down into heavy timber what kind of range might I get in these conditions
The signal will disconnect immediately. It's best to always keep a clear path between the Mavic and remote controller.

Would it disconnect immediately if you were flying with the controls on your mobile device?

Would it disconnect immediately if you were flying with the controls on your mobile device?

If you're referring to using your smartphone as the sole controller, then you will actually have significantly reduced range (~250 feet). Regardless, as @msinger mentioned, it's always best to maintain line of sight. Any obstacles that get in the way of your controller and the Mavic will interfere with it's ability to maintain connection.

Bottom line, whenever something comes between the bird and RC the connection will be diminished or lost. The more solid the object the quicker the loss. i.e. trees and bushes are not as bad as a hill are buildings.

I have a similar situation as you with the forest and clearing etc. I haven't had a problem with obstructions yet even with the heavily wooded terrain. -CF

If I have return to home set and it does disconnect and I cant retain connection will it in theory come back home, I have not tried that out yet.

Yes, I have lost signal several times and it always comes back. make sure your "return to home" altitude is sufficient to miss tall objects.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54