DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with JUST remote controller?

kennyvle

Reactions
Alright I used the search function and couldn't find an answer. I just got done flying around and was getting ready to put everything away but then I thought to myself, can I just operate the drone without plugging my iphone into it? (so just the remote controller and the mavic) So I unplugged my phone, did the CSC motor start and the mavic motors turned on.

Can I just fly like this?!

can I just operate the drone without plugging my iphone into it?
Yes. It's not the best of ideas though since you won't be able to see the flight data in DJI GO.

Reactions: kennyvle
Yes. It's not the best of ideas though since you won't be able to see the flight data in DJI GO.

Honestly, I just wanted to use my phone to record a 10 second snapchat video to my friends and then I would plug the iPhone back in to actually fly far away but thanks for the information!

Yep, works fine. You can fly:

1.Controller only
2. Controller and phone
3. Phone only (via WiFi, need to turn it on with a switch on the Mavic)

Although in my (admittedly brief) testing, the Mavic wouldn't focus without my phone attached to the RC.

I had an iPhone 6S on my very first flight. I was about 1200 ft out, around 320 ft up when my phone did the infamous "6S shutdown". Wow, it was very nerve racking. I used the remote until I saw the the distance getting less, so knew it was heading my way. Then I heard it and all was good.
Yep, the remote works ;-)

- Sport Mode addict, ride the wind!

I had an iPhone 6S on my very first flight. I was about 1200 ft out, around 320 ft up when my phone did the infamous "6S shutdown". Wow, it was very nerve racking. I used the remote until I saw the the distance getting less, so knew it was heading my way. Then I heard it and all was good.
Yep, the remote works ;-)

- Sport Mode addict, ride the wind!

lol **** that sounds terrible

Reactions: HelloNasty1
Don't do it. Lol I crashed my drone into a tree thankfully didn't hurt the props but I had no idea smart return to home was about to engage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MavicPilots mobile app
I was wondering about that!? I want to try practicing with just the remote, in case my iPad ever conks out during flight, but I was wondering if you could monitor or even cancel the RTH using only the remote. I guess that could be a problem. Hope your drone is ok. Marc.

I was wondering about that!? I want to try practicing with just the remote, in case my iPad ever conks out during flight, but I was wondering if you could monitor or even cancel the RTH using only the remote. I guess that could be a problem. Hope your drone is ok. Marc.
You still have control of RTH using just the RC controller, via the pause button, and the RTH button.

Reactions: Ynksfan27
As has been already stated, yes you can fly with RC only. I even recommend new pilots fly this way to learn stick control without all the distractions of Go 4.

Reactions: Flycaster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54