DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with tablets.

Eijin

Reactions
I have a quick question how is it to fly mavic with a tablet I mean as far as I'm concerned flying with smartphone which supports gps & Mobile network data helps somehow out right. Most of the tablets include neither of them so it must be less convenient right?

I have a quick question how is it to fly mavic with a tablet I mean as far as I'm concerned flying with smartphone which supports gps & Mobile network data helps somehow out right. Most of the tablets include neither of them so it must be less convenient right?
I like my Nvida Shield, larger and more powerful. I can store all the maps I need and it has a great GPS and hdmi output.

I use a Mini 4 and connect it to my Galaxy S5 with mobile hotspot. The ipad then has both Internet and location from phone.

Reactions: Fplvert
The only thing you lose with a wifi only tablet might be GPS. Many android tablets include it anyway whereas only iPads with cellular service have it (regardless of whether you use the cellular)

GPS is required for some intelligent flight modes like follow me but otherwise you have full functionality.

Maps can be cached over wifi in advance or with tethered connection to your phone.

You cannot tether to your phone to access GPS though.

Flying with a tablet is hugely recommended though. I just started using an iPad mini 2 with GPS and it makes a big difference. You can see much more.

The only thing you lose with a wifi only tablet might be GPS. Many android tablets include it anyway whereas only iPads with cellular service have it (regardless of whether you use the cellular)

GPS is required for some intelligent flight modes like follow me but otherwise you have full functionality.

Maps can be cached over wifi in advance or with tethered connection to your phone.

You cannot tether to your phone to access GPS though.

Flying with a tablet is hugely recommended though. I just started using an iPad mini 2 with GPS and it makes a big difference. You can see much more.

I have no issue getting location access through my phone when my iPad is tethered.

Hmm, well even though I have an Iphone 7Plus, I never fly with it. Always fly with my Galaxy Note 4 tablet which is Android. The reason bein' that it has a much larger screen. Also, I fly almost exclusively with the Litchi app, so I'm all about real estate on my phone. This particular phone does have GPS and the phone is activated so I can use it almost anywheres as far as maps, and don't need to cache the maps.
Chip D - Omaha, Ne

I like my Nvida Shield, larger and more powerful. I can store all the maps I need and it has a great GPS and hdmi output.
Hmm, well even though I have an Iphone 7Plus, I never fly with it. Always fly with my Galaxy Note 4 tablet which is Android. The reason bein' that it has a much larger screen. Also, I fly almost exclusively with the Litchi app, so I'm all about real estate on my phone. This particular phone does have GPS and the phone is activated so I can use it almost anywheres as far as maps, and don't need to cache the maps.
Chip D - Omaha, Ne

I have just purchased Asus transformer 3 as I didn't own any windows device for few simple tasks and it's got a decent 12" screen I'm planning to dual boot it so it runs both on windows 10 and android so i can fly mavic tethering obviously I have considered but I'm a bit worried about lack of gps...

I have just purchased Asus transformer 3 as I didn't own any windows device for few simple tasks and it's got a decent 12" screen I'm planning to dual boot it so it runs both on windows 10 and android so i can fly mavic tethering obviously I have considered but I'm a bit worried about lack of gps...
P.S note 4 is not a tablet I own one it's a phablet:)

P.S note 4 is not a tablet I own one it's a phablet:)

Well it's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, and it just works great. In fact, it works better than my IPhone with the Litchi app. I can't seem to find the RTH button when using my Litchi app on my IPhone, but it's big as life on the Tab 4.

Chip

Well it's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, and it just works great. In fact, it works better than my IPhone with the Litchi app. I can't seem to find the RTH button when using my Litchi app on my IPhone, but it's big as life on the Tab 4.

Chip
Sorry I'm being a smartass... I'm glad to hear that it actually work to fly with a tablet. I never owned any. Now I'll try to test how comfortable it is.

Reactions: Jrpeh
No problemo. I use the Tab 4 and the Litchi app pretty exclusively. Much easier to make pre programmed flights using the Litchi app.

Chip D

Reactions: MrsTreat
Tablet or phone makes no difference apart from the larger screen benefit and the physical mounting complexity / bulk drawbacks. Different people like different sizes, your choice. Mine is a large phone but that still fits in without any need for additional mounts and can be carried in the Mavic bag, I find a tablet too bulky.

Tablet or phone makes no difference apart from the larger screen benefit and the physical mounting complexity / bulk drawbacks. Different people like different sizes, your choice. Mine is a large phone but that still fits in without any need for additional mounts and can be carried in the Mavic bag, I find a tablet too bulky.

Ha. Well I have my Mavic, 3 batts, the controller, the charger and the Galaxy Tab 4 all in a Domke Messenger bag.

Chip D - Omaha, Ne

That's huge - I was referring to the DJI bag which is probably 3x smaller.

True, it's larger than the DJI bag. But it didn't hold the 3 batts nor the chargers. And it wasn't padded that well. wanted an all inclusive bag, and it's still pretty low key.

Darn it I'm a little confused now I think I have gone too far including frame the screen measures a bit over 200 mm in landscape I can't find a proper mount I've gone through Amazon the biggest I have managed to find is 190mm

Well it's not real big. Here it is next to my DJI bag. Keep in mind that it holds the Mavic, 2 batts, the contoller, a Galaxy Tab 4, the charger and plugs, and an assortment of Polar Pros.

Attachments

• Domke Bag.jpg
    Domke Bag.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 58
I started flying with the Note 4 but switched to a Tab S 8.4. The tablet has a much better image for those of us that wear reading glasses.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC