DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with the phone in aeroplane mode

rustydiver

Reactions
Sorry i know this might sound a dumb *** question but if you fly in aeroplane mode so no data connection, does this affect the maps while flying.
or have i got the wrong end off the stick.
Still waiting for my Mavic to turn up so thinking about things too much.

Maps won't load if your in aeroplane mode. Just make sure Wifi is off and set your phone to do not disturb

Reactions: rustydiver
With airplane mode enabled, the maps will still work fine if you cache them beforehand in a location where you have an Internet connection.

or a better option might be to pull up the map of the area you'll be flying in while at home on wifi and cache the map that way it will be there when you get to your location and you can fly in airplane mode.

whats better Do not disturb or aeroplane. Im on unlimited data so no worries there.

Is there any interference on either.

If your phone is unlocked DND doesn't work (on iPhone), you'll still get the alerts and everything. There could be interference, how significant that interference is/can be is cause for debate. Airplane mode, nothing comes in or goes out unless you've enabled WiFi and Bluetooth in Airplane Mode (on iPhone).

I think many people fly with dedicated devices. My device is an older phone without cell service, so in essence when I'm in the field I'm in airplane mode unless connect via wifi back to my phone with service.

If you get a dedicated device with no service, you can use your phone as a hotspot to load the maps then turn off the hotspot right before you take off.
Where it has an old iOS on it it won't download the dji go app from the I store. Won't allow to put a higher iOS onto it.
Unless there is a way around it.

Where it has an old iOS on it it won't download the dji go app from the I store. Won't allow to put a higher iOS onto it.
Unless there is a way around it.
Yeah it look like you either have to get a newer compatible device, preload (cache) maps or just use your phone without switching it on to airplane mode. It works perfectly normal and you get maps. Just don't answer any calls during the flight.

I always cache the map at the flight location ,kill all apps , place in airplane mode then restart the phone before I fly . Just an OCD thing . I've never had a single problem with my Droid Turbo . If the phone is in do not disturb it still receives cell signals and the processors still have to do work to "Do not Disturb you". I prefer all processing power of the phone be directed to the app I am using to fly with .

Reactions: Bunny Too
Sorry i know this might sound a dumb *** question but if you fly in aeroplane mode so no data connection, does this affect the maps while flying.
or have i got the wrong end off the stick.
Still waiting for my Mavic to turn up so thinking about things too much.
I load up map at site, then turn off wifi and put cell in airplane mode.

When using cached maps on an i-pad 2, does the drones progress show on the map in real time while in flight??

When using cached maps on an i-pad 2, does the drones progress show on the map in real time while in flight??
Yes.

Thanks for that. I have cached my flying area on the i-pad. Hoping to fly tomorrow. Should the cached map come up on the go4 screen when i go into the app outside. Will it come up automatically? Hope that makes sense! I have hooked up the mavic to the i-pad inside tonight and there are maps but it starts somewhere in outer space and i had to manually zoom in. Tomorrow is my 1st flight with a mavic pro so trying to get things right. Thanks again msinger.

Yes, the cached maps should appear in DJI GO.

To verify the maps are cached before you head out to fly, enable airplane mode on your mobile device and start DJI GO. If the map images load in the area where you're going to be flying, then you're all set.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S