DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with Thomas Cook with Mavic.

TheSaffer

Reactions
I am flying with Thomas Cook to South Africa next year and I am thinking of buying the Mavic to take with me.

Does anyone know if I can have it in my hand luggage with three batteries?

I have an Inspire Pro, but I don't want to risk losing it or some batteries being confiscated.

I just thought I'd ask here before I phone them to hear if anyone have any input on this.

Thanks!

I am flying with Thomas Cook to South Africa next year and I am thinking of buying the Mavic to take with me.

Does anyone know if I can have it in my hand luggage with three batteries?

I have an Inspire Pro, but I don't want to risk losing it or some batteries being confiscated.

I just thought I'd ask here before I phone them to hear if anyone have any input on this.

Thanks!
Since the Mavic batteries are much smaller (capacity and lithium content as well as Wh rating) than the Inspire packs you should have absolutely no trouble whatsoever.

I would also add that it is sensible when flying to another country to fully familiarise yourself with that nations UAV laws and regulations as they can be quite different and more or less restrictive than your own.
Drone Laws in South Africa | UAV Coach

I know they are not permitted in Kruger as I just returned. Best check with all the other parks before you go

Thanks for the replies.
I have friends who own a game farm near the Kruger and should not be a problem if I wanted to film there.

My question is purely for the flight with Thomas Cook. I did an online chat session with them today and this is what they said for the benifit of other people who might also want to know:

10:36 AM
Grace:​
Spare lithium ion batteries exceeding a watt-hour rating of 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh when carried by passengers may be carried in carry-on baggage. Each lithium ion cell or battery must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placement in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch). No more than two individually protected spare batteries per person may be carried.

10:38 AM
Botha
Thank you very much!
Just to be sure. I can take three batteries in total? One came with the device and two spare?

10:39 AM
Grace
My pleasure. This is correct.

So according to this conversation it should be fine!

Reactions: auen1
Thanks for the replies.
I have friends who own a game farm near the Kruger and should not be a problem if I wanted to film there.

My question is purely for the flight with Thomas Cook. I did an online chat session with them today and this is what they said for the benifit of other people who might also want to know:

10:36 AM
Grace:​
Spare lithium ion batteries exceeding a watt-hour rating of 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh when carried by passengers may be carried in carry-on baggage. Each lithium ion cell or battery must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placement in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch). No more than two individually protected spare batteries per person may be carried.

10:38 AM
Botha
Thank you very much!
Just to be sure. I can take three batteries in total? One came with the device and two spare?

10:39 AM
Grace
My pleasure. This is correct.

So according to this conversation it should be fine!
What they are telling they haven't made that clear IMO.
ANY number of spare batteries maybe carried providing the Wh rating is less than 100Wh - there are no restrictions on these so you can carry 10 of them if you want to.
However, there IS a restriction on packs between 100Wh-160Wh and this is limited to two per person.
This rule has been around for a long time and can easily be confirmed by Googling Airline travel with Lipo batteries or similar.

What they are telling they haven't made that clear IMO.
ANY number of spare batteries maybe carried providing the Wh rating is less than 100Wh - there are no restrictions on these so you can carry 10 of them if you want to.
However, there IS a restriction on packs between 100Wh-160Wh and this is limited to two per person.
This rule has been around for a long time and can easily be confirmed by Googling Airline travel with Lipo batteries or similar.
I called Delta Airlines. They allow 3 batteries total. Airlines have discretion to limit the number regardless of FAA guidelines.

Not sure how correct it is but south africa have banned drones carrying cameras :(

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Happy to be proved wrong. My wife seems to do it a lot

Reactions: ConnaZA
Anytime you guys travel it is wise to check with both the airlines you're flying on and the country you will be going to. The rules change rapidly in this emerging technology, stay up with the rules. ;)

Hi Davidr

Drones definitely not banned is SA, fly mine almost anywhere, normal regulations still in place like for airfields and other specific places as in the rest of the world

I was in Kruger last month and they are totally banned in the national park. Its good they can be flown elsewhere though

Thomas cook are ok. I've checked with them re a holiday next year subject to packing the batteries safely and carrying on as hand luggage. The nice lady even sent me a mail just in case I had issues at the airport

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada