DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying without GPS

HoodFPV

Reactions
Hi All,

It has been over a week now that I have received my Mavic.

Over the last 2 years I have been into FPV mini quad flying. Building my own drones and trying to get them as locked in as possible by tuning and changing parts. Really interesting hobby (but sometimes expensive). So I can say that I have pretty much mastered the art of drone flying. Mini quads do not have stabilisation and we fly "Rate Mode".

So far I am very impressed with the Mavic: very stable, good battery life and good camera.

Flying in P-GPS mode is great. But I have not quite figured out yet how I can fly without GPS, just in normall attitude mode, or even manual. Flying without GPS is easier and more smooth when flying with Goggles.

Anybody know how to turn off GPS?

Sorry if it is obvious. Still a noob with the Mavic.

Thanks and happy flying!

Hi All,

It has been over a week now that I have received my Mavic.

Over the last 2 years I have been into FPV mini quad flying. Building my own drones and trying to get them as locked in as possible by tuning and changing parts. Really interesting hobby (but sometimes expensive). So I can say that I have pretty much mastered the art of drone flying. Mini quads do not have stabilisation and we fly "Rate Mode".

So far I am very impressed with the Mavic: very stable, good battery life and good camera.

Flying in P-GPS mode is great. But I have not quite figured out yet how I can fly without GPS, just in normall attitude mode, or even manual. Flying without GPS is easier and more smooth when flying with Goggles.

Anybody know how to turn off GPS?

Sorry if it is obvious. Still a noob with the Mavic.

Thanks and happy flying!
There is no option to disable GPS on the Mavic. I assume you were thinking about doing some ACRO maneuvers with it, which even if you could "turn off" GPS I don't think the Mavic has enough "punch" to recover from a flip or roll.

Reactions: CC Rider
You could tape some foil over the GPS receiver to block the signal. (Situated at the rear of the craft, above the DJI logo). Give it a try.

I have not quite figured out yet how I can fly without GPS, just in normall attitude mode, or even manual. Flying without GPS is easier and more smooth when flying with Goggles.
The Mavic does not have a manual mode. It'll only auto switch to ATTI mode when it detects it cannot use the GPS/compass data for some reason. That's not a usual occurrence, but it could happen if you calibrate the compass near magnetic metal objects (for example).

Thanks for the responses! So I guess it is only GPS then. No problem.
I was not planning to do flips and rolls. I have got my mini quads for that. Without GPS it is more fluid, it does not brake when centering the sticks.

Cheers

Waiting for my goggles and I will surely switch to Sport Mode! :)

Reactions: Wyz_One
If you are flying using the DJI Go 4 App then (if you haven't already) go to Main Controller Settings and scroll down to Advanced Setting and then Sensitivity

By adjusting Brake down (for example) you will get smoother flight when you release the sticks. Another thing you can do is adjust your Expo's (also under advanced settings)

I too learned on quads that only had self-leveling (or were full acro mode), so DJI's products have always felt a little too easy to fly haha. Still, I definitely prefer it when shooting pictures or video, as I can focus on that instead of keeping it in the air :)

Thanks for the tip. Indeed, I use the Mavic for video shooting. Still having a ball with my mini quads!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy