DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Focusing help?

Bunraku

Reactions
Hi. I previously had a Phantom 3 and as you know it had infinity focus. I'm having the issue with my videos that the sides are very soft sometimes. I've heard the drone is set to infinity at take off, but also that some people set to infinity by pointing at the sky and centering once. I also think it may be sharpness settings, but that's less likely. And lastly I know of 2 guys who have returned their Mavic's and had them replaced and no longer have the issue. So what's the solution?

Thanks

Pointing at the sky is no good for focusing. Point at something contrasty/detailed at least 50m away and focus on that. If you have uneven focus even that way then it needs repair, quite a number of people have had that defect. Might want to post samples for confirmation.

It takes a bit of trial and error but the Mavic camera is significantly better than P3 when you are used to it.
I find D-Log with sharpness contrast and saturation all on zero is a good starting point if you are used to doing some grading.
If you'd rather just stick clips together try None or perhaps Cinelike.

The soft areas might just be noise reduction being over-zealous in low light.
If it's overcast or near sunset sharpness +1 can be noticeably better.

I had the soft side of frame for awhile like many people complained about. Sent pics and video to DJI and they replied to update to the latest firmware. I thought it was a brush-off, how could an obvious physical focal plane misalignment be fixed in software. Did the upgrade (.800). Voila! It fixed it. Maybe it was some sort of harmonics (vibration in the gimbal manifesting in one area of image plane??). Still can't work out how they did it. ;/

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929