DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For actual cinematic footage, forget DJI Go 4, Cinematic mode, and all the advanced exp settings...

If you mean by using the device in some headgear, no. That is best left to the HDMI output function of the controller as far as Autopilot (and myself for that matter) are concerned. That's not an area I'd expect Autoflight Logic to pursue either.
The Mavic's controller doesn't have an HDMI output.

That is correct. Have I found myself in a Mavic only forum? Ooops. I thought it was general discussion, in a general forum. My bad! Sorry. "Mavic Pilots" LOL. I can be slow witted at times. ;)
Don't worry about it, you are in General Discussions so it's not a big deal, especially as the Autopilot discussion is pertinent to the Mavic. I myself hadn't given it a look until I ran across your thread, so thanks, looks very interesting and I might give it a go.

Reactions: egrep and rsbell
Don't worry about it, you are in General Discussions so it's not a big deal, especially as the Autopilot discussion is pertinent to the Mavic. I myself hadn't given it a look until I ran across your thread, so thanks, looks very interesting and I might give it a go.
Thank you :) I'm sorry I wandered into the wrong place. But I'll get a Mavic 2 Pro as soon as they ship. I'll bet they have HDMI by then. Groovy lil' birds, those Mavii! Going to go 'read only' now. :) Happy New Year!

Honestly, don't waste your time with that nonsense. It's just an exercise in frustration and futility. It's fine for everyday flying just for fun that doesn't require nailing "that perfect shot" or scene.

Newest version of Autopilot is simply awesome! Even better than Litchi, far more powerful and intuitive than DJI Go 4, and so far running on iPhone 7 it's been flawless. The developers really did a good job updating this app for how the Mavic flies. Making cinematic shots is now not only easy to do but also unbelievably powerful and versatile. You can make flight paths as complicated or simple as you want and the way the Mavic and its gimbal behaves is left to the background leaving you with nothing but smooth footage. Best $30 I've spent on an app in a long time. DJI needs to purchase this company so they can make apps for them. It's only right that superior software functionality like this should come included with the best drones available on the market.
The app called "FPV Camera" is far better than Autopilot and Litchi
Check it out at " FPVbooster.com".

One thing to be careful with here, especially for people new to drones, is that if using a 3rd Party apps like AutoPilot or Litchi and should something happen that is not a mechanical or f/w issue then DJI will not cover it under warranty. The chances of this may be remote but as DJI have no control over the coding they will not support it with warranty. It does not void your warranty per-say, simply that you may have a hard time in proving that the issue was not caused by the app itself. You basically used these apps at your own risk unfortunately. :(

Reactions: egrep
Used autopilot quit a bit to orbit a moving object on my P3. Got some great shots on the big boat up on plane while it orbits around it. Also some great video of the kids tubing on the little boat . Has a great feature where you can offset the camera . Basically I told it to orbit 20 behind me. No way I could even come close to pulling off that kind of flying and getting great shots. It like cheating. You don't have to have years of flying skills to get great footage.

I do have litchi but haven't used it much. Can litichi orbit a moving object? Can if offset your pointe of interest on a moving object? I got litichi and some fpv googles just haven't tried it yet

The app called "FPV Camera" is far better than Autopilot and Litchi
Check it out at " FPVbooster.com".
That's quite a reaching unqualified answer. Do you have anything to add to that, like why in your opinion it is 'far better'? at what? Looks interesting.

Making cinematic shots is now not only easy to do but also unbelievably powerful and versatile.

I haven't used Autopilot, but I have used Litchi. The camera movements still seem somewhat robotic.

I think the DJI hardware, and/or the API, will not allow, or is incapable of, "truly cinematic shots".

The two big problems are the start and stop of a yaw, as well as a consistent pan speed IN the yaw, and the start and stop of a gimbal tilt.

Neither of those moves are consistently smooth or consistently non-robotic.

I mean, a person can get a few seconds, maybe, of good smooth footage, and yes, clips probably shouldn't be much longer than that, but the robotic feeling is always close by.

I'll be the first to admit if I am doing something wrong.

I haven't used Autopilot, but I have used Litchi. The camera movements still seem somewhat robotic.

I think the DJI hardware, and/or the API, will not allow, or is incapable of, "truly cinematic shots".

The two big problems are the start and stop of a yaw, as well as a consistent pan speed IN the yaw, and the start and stop of a gimbal tilt.

Neither of those moves are consistently smooth or consistently non-robotic.

I mean, a person can get a few seconds, maybe, of good smooth footage, and yes, clips probably shouldn't be much longer than that, but the robotic feeling is always close by.

I'll be the first to admit if I am doing something wrong.

Did you update the settings on the gimbal?

Yes I did.

I've watched every video I can find and have read a zillion posts.

In my last post I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm totally disappointed in my Phantom 3 Pro, in fact I'm amazed, some of the shots are so beautiful, it just floors me.

I just wish I could get the yaw and tilt smoother and more logarithmic in their start and stop nature, to really make everything complete.

Truly, it really seems like software could make all the difference, but maybe it can't (and therefore the problem is hardware related?), or maybe I'm expecting too much.

I'd like to be able to control the camera as if I was holding it.

A better controller would help a lot. Trying to get a smooth pan with the stick is extremely difficult. And the wheel for camera tilt is, for me, very hard to control in a "cinematic" manner.

Anyway, the search goes on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123