DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For anyone using the DJI shoulder bag, please take a second to read this.

theblackecho

Reactions
A few days ago I awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of what seemed like my smoke alarm going off. I hopped out of bed and quickly discovered that none of them had been triggered but there was still a similar sound coming from somewhere.

I then realised it was coming from my Mavic shoulder bag on my coffee table.

After having flown earlier that day, I did what I have done on every other flight. I packed up the bird, controller and batteries the way that's advised, and also the only way that makes logical sense for everything to fit.

So when I open the shoulder bag I find that's it's the controller beeping, I pull it out and the entire unit felt like it had been sitting in an oven for the past half hour. I look at the screen and it's constantly trying but failing to pair with the turned off drone, which has then obviously caused the controller to overheat.

I powered the controller down and then put my hand back inside the bag and found that everything inside was also dangerously hot.

Now I have no idea how the controller managed to turn itself on in the middle of the night. I live alone with my dog. The only explanation I have is she bumped the bag and it's toppled in a way with something either internally or externally, miraculously completing the 'press once, press and hold' power on sequence to the controllers power button.

Seems like a fairly unique and unlikely thing to happen, but maybe if the controller had continued its failed connecting loop, without me having awoken to it, it could potentially have caught fire and burnt my house down. Yet worse, melting the RC so I can't fly my Mavic.

Something to be weary of anyway I guess. The shoulder bags are a very tight fit with all the equipment packed inside, so make sure you store the bag somewhere it won't get knocked about!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: burtg and madgadget
Thanks for the heads up!
This is worrying tho if it's so eazy to power on the controller and it get's so hot.
As you stated, the press once then press and hold sequence should prevent unwanted activation.
As a failsafe DJI could have built in an auto shut off after say 10 or 15 min. with no drone connection.

Or maybe a modded version of this with added power button protection. Something for our 3d printer friends.
c5b1bbe2e179611cd1ec98108b5300b4_edjp209-1_%E5%89%AF%E6%9C%AC.jpg

Possible that you may have accidentally turned it on while packing the bag? (or not turned it off properly).

I have had a hard case for my P2V for years and got one for my Mavic - the case was here before the Mavic, no surprise to anyone. I always leave the cases open when not in use for a mild battery concern, but I never suspected the remote controller would be the issue.

Or maybe a modded version of this with added power button protection. Something for our 3d printer friends.

Interesting Idea. I have 3D printed the stick guard and adding button protection makes sense. I don't need or use it in the hard case but I have the DJI bag as I expect their are times it will be handy when the hard case is to big. It is not that big, but there are times you want max portability.

High John Shaw,
If you erver print a stick guard (bottom version on the picture) with power button protection, i would like to buy one frome you!

Just pm me.

Reactions: grantallan
If I come up with a revised stick guard I will contact the original designer and if they are OK with it I will make the revised files available. This is a hobby and I have a policy of not selling anything - that would make it work... but I will gladly make the design available.

If I come up with a revised stick guard I will contact the original designer and if they are OK with it I will make the revised files available. This is a hobby and I have a policy of not selling anything - that would make it work... but I will gladly make the design available.

Sounds fair Thumbswayup

Thanks for the heads up!
This is worrying tho if it's so eazy to power on the controller and it get's so hot.
As you stated, the press once then press and hold sequence should prevent unwanted activation.
As a failsafe DJI could have built in an auto shut off after say 10 or 15 min. with no drone connection.
The old controller used to beep when there was no stick interaction for 10 minutes.

Maybe try turning the controller off before putting it away? Really though...What's more likely here, that the controller was never actually turned off or that nature miraculously completed the proper sequence to turn it on?

Of course it's possible...But I'd put my money on the most likely scenario.

Hiya Crusader, I would love to have a copy of this file please. I was going to ask our drawing office if they could design me something similar.I will happily make a couple of them at work if there is demand but again no money changing hands.
I don't really like putting the controller in the shoulder bag as it seems to put too much pressure on the joysticks, this solves the problem.
I'll happily supply an email address for any files (step or STL).
Thank you in advance :)

Controller and 3 Mavic batteries (if you only get one bag)

View attachment 2987

The thing I don't like about storing all things in one bag is if one catches fire, the rest get damaged. I think the separate battery bags are better. Have them all stored in the same place but not too close to each other. If one went off, hopefully the fire detection system alerts you before it damages the others.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada