DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FORCE LANDING ?!

Ed209

Reactions
Was flying just now and as I was heading in the broad in DJI Go says "LANDING". Tapping the red X on the screen didn't abort it but I was able to override it similar to fighting autoland in the P3/P4. As soon as I let off the sticks it would go back and say LANDING. I was over water and about 200ft away. Battery was not even close to low yet. I landed shortly thereafter with 39% left.
CIEN2Hk.jpg

Did you check the RTH setting in the GO app? You can have it hover, land, or return to home when signal is lost. It appears your craft lost control signal, but at only 1/2 mile range this shouldn't happen unless you fly behind something like a building or mountain. You said you were over water, so that's really strange to get a weak signal, assuming you had LOS.

Look at the log I posted...it was 184ft in front of me...Really scary!

Also, my RTH setting is set to come back and land. But it wasn't in RTH mode. Signal score on the flight was 100 too.

Here's the video proof :) Needless to say, I just purchased DJI Care before the 48hr cutoff...Must be a logic bomb set by DJI to nab an extra $100. Skip to 11:50.

Reactions: jerryflah
If it had landed in the water DJI Care would not have helped.

Reactions: Dougie
Wow why was it switching to ATTI so often.

Reactions: jswinkos
If it had landed in the water DJI Care would not have helped.

I don't see anything in the terms indicating they wouldn't. If you assumed that I wouldn't be able to retrieve then you were wrong. It was actually only about 40ft from where I was standing. I realized I walked off the pier back to the shoreline where it started descending. I was actually closer than reported since my home point was out on the pier.

To clarify, it seems that it switches to ATTI for a split second when going from sport to GPS mode.

Ok I was going ask if maybe there was some interference .. I am interested to read what the experts say about this... when it happened you kept it from descending by holding the left stick up correct?

I don't see anything in the terms indicating they wouldn't. If you assumed that I wouldn't be able to retrieve then you were wrong. It was actually only about 40ft from where I was standing. I realized I walked off the pier back to the shoreline where it started descending. I was actually closer than reported since my home point was out on the pier.
Yep.. I assumed you wouldn't be able to get it but after actually watching the video I get your point on DJI Care... I'm with you, I think I'm going to drop the money too.

Reactions: Hayabusa
What does healthy drones say about the battery cells?
It looks like a forced landing due to low voltage regardless of percentage remaining.
There was some quite aggressive fast flying which could have given it enough workout to be getting low by 12 minutes.
You can have the app show voltage on screen and it will typically drop quite low briefly if for example you ascend rapidly.

Yep.. I assumed you wouldn't be able to get it but after actually watching the video I get your point on DJI Care... I'm with you, I think I'm going to drop the money too.

It was maximum 40ft from me when the landing started. You better believe that I would roll up my pants and walk out there to get it lol. On second look I see that it was switching into ATTI right during the force landing event and I definitely was in GPS mode then. I looked at previous flights and it does flip to ATTI when exiting sport mode though.

Reactions: dji P5
What does healthy drones say about the battery cells?
It looks like a forced landing due to low voltage regardless of percentage remaining.
There was some quite aggressive fast flying which could have given it enough workout to be getting low by 12 minutes.
You can have the app show voltage on screen and it will typically drop quite low briefly if for example you ascend rapidly.

All good there... No major deviations.

Technically, DJI Care does not cover anything that results from water damage--even if water damage were to occur following the original problem. Even still, I purchased the protection. For your reference, here is a list of the exclusions:

The service does not cover:

1) Lost or partially lost aircraft and accessories.

2) Stolen or abandoned aircraft and accessories.

3) Damage caused by flight in unsuitable environments.

4) Any repair fees resulting from or following water damage.

5) The remote controller or any accessories mounted to your aircraft.

6) Deliberate losses.

7) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the aircraft.

8) Direct or indirect losses caused by force majeure.

9) Replacement requests out of DJI Care Refresh’s period of validity.

10) Extra fees resulting from technical enhancements or performance improvements.

11) Damage resulting from unauthorized circuit restructuring, or the use of incompatible batteries and charger.

12) Damage resulting from using under-charged or defective batteries.

Technically, DJI Care does not cover anything that results from water damage--even if water damage were to occur following the original problem. Even still, I purchased the protection. For your reference, here is a list of the exclusions:

I would argue to the death that the water landing was not by my negligence and due to some other issue with their software. Unless I'm totally missing something with this force landing. I am at a loss for an explanation as to why it happened. Here's another markup of the situation. You'll see my home point and also where I was standing relative to the force landing events. It was litterally right in front of me. I was watching it descend and I even left it to hover for a second to see if it would do it again, and it did.
4HojnKr.jpg

Off topic a little, but is there a fan in the controller or something? Sounds like something spun up at 6:57.. I wonder if there might be a problem with the controllers..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143