DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forced GO 4 update in a week?

It is only logic that French owners are on the lead on this one.

Anyone who has ever checked the absolute crazy exclusion areas chart designed by their aviation authority - a chart that looks like a measles outbreak doused in a mix of steroids, prozac and coke - has to feel sorry for what these users will be up against.

I am going to sign the petition, that's for sure...

MK

Reactions: Peio64270
I have a question...and perhaps it's too early to be answered seeing as though this forced update has not yet been applied.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago and fly in the city often. I normally stick to the lakefront areas where I'm not flying around large buildings or over groups of people walking around downtown. I have a friend getting married the first weekend in June and I agreed to help him capture unique perspectives of their special day with my Mavic. The wedding party is planning on traveling into the city (near the lakefront) to take pictures between church and the reception. My plan was to use my Mavic to get some shots of the bridal party and the city of Chicago so that I can make a little video for my friend and his fiance. We will be in the city but I will be flying my normal patterns away from buildings and crowds of people, mostly staying over the lake to capture the skyline.

My question is, with this new forced update, should I be concerned about the possibility of being "locked out" of flying my Mavic in Chicago because of population density or some other related reason? I've heard speculation that people living in big cities may have to travel away from those areas in order to use their aircraft with this new update. I'm concerned that these new regulations from DJI May prevent me from being able to fly and film for my friends wedding day. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

They don't make it clear if this will enforce updating to latest firmware and app - or be so restricted as to make it almost unusable.
Howls of protest will ensue.
With good reason, it seems like you don't really own your Mavic if they can control and modify it like this.
This is some more details emailed to DJI SDK users:
"In July, DJI aircraft firmware will require mobile applications that control DJI aircraft to be activated with the user’s DJI account, if that application is being used in China. This will ensure operators use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for their aircraft, as determined by their geographical location and user profile.

A summary of the activation system is:

• On July 1, this feature will go live on all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware
  • Users in China will be required to activate their application by logging into their DJI account at least once every three months within the application
  • Activation will be persistent in the application until the user logs out
  • A data connection will be required to log into a DJI account
  • Outside of China, the SDK will automatically activate the application without requiring the user to log in
  • If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.

This week, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will be released that will include APIs to support this system. Applications should update to v4.1 as soon as they can to support the activation system natively. For applications that are not upgraded to v4.1 or activated by the user, full aircraft functionality can still be achieved by first connecting any other upgraded/activated application on each power cycle of the aircraft. For example, DJI Go could be initially connected to the aircraft, then the user could switch to the SDK based application."
Hope that helps.

I find it lovely that they are arrogant enough as to not explain why.
Agreed. Just state the reason.
If it is really just to give geospatial information to China residents, why didn't the old checkbox take care of it. (There was some box in the settings to check if operating in Mainland China).

Just be upfront with the customers. As I said in an earlier post, the fact that they are threatening to basically ground functioning drones is BS. I guess if someone stays with the old app and the old firmware... theye can still fly (if in an area that would be otherwise limited). ?!?

"DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers."

I wonder what the phrase "International Customers" includes. We are dealing with a China based organization. It is logical to assume that International includes everywhere.

Reactions: jwjonesjr
Sounds like the U.S. flyers may be limited to 400' from take off and line of sight . Hmmm

I wonder if 3rd party apps are affected ?

Probably because the firmware update info is stored into the aircraft itself and not the Apps.[emoji24]

Why does everyone keep saying things like oh we will be limited to 400 feet etc when dji have stated this is not the case?

There is so much to say and many examples on this subject it would go on forever. But to be very blunt losing the FAA rules and regulations that we follow and their backing of telling people we are registered and following the rules. Therefore, who is forcing DJI’s hand and making or forcing these changes upon us. By Reregistering with DJI I am sure we are Signing into a new agreement. So why don’t we have our focus towards DJI and say why are you forcing this upon us, and restricting our flight if we do not comply. We do not accept these terms, that are being forced upon us. This Is not acceptable to our original terms, buy back our mavic Pro

Reactions: dorubrad
I'm interested to see how this is going to take effect in the UK...
I personally still don't really understand the update on how it is going to effect me directly, even after reading this whole thread, DJI havn't exactly made the update 'clear' to their product users.

Reactions: Mr Spock
Something's up. My Mavic just keeps spitting out a slew of errors. And my live feed is lost. Air Encoding error, forward vision system error, downward vision system error. It was working perfectly last night.

Reactions: Starfighter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007