DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forward Sensors And Problems Flying Into Sun

MrMavic

Reactions
Yesterday I flew a mission about 2 miles and on my way back the sun was low in the sky. Mavic was approximatley 150' over the tallest trees, yet my Obstacle Avoidance kept kicking in and bringing me to a complete abrupt stop.
I knew what was happening because I've read about others having this problem. In a panic I pointed the camera down lower and of course that had no effect, and I realized that later hen I was thinking clearly. The river was on my right and the sun was almost dead ahead, about 350 degrees.
I didn't want to shut off the forward sensors because I had some obstacles coming up near home point and I just like having that extra protection.
Has anyone found a work around without disabling the sensors?
Here's frame from that flight.

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 9.05.40 AM.png

Last edited:
i had this problem and performed calibration on the sensors via DJI assistant,it helped i've only had it do that once since then,i just leave mine off ,i don't fly that far anyways but if some instance happened where a signal loss occurred and the sensors where alarming preventing a RTH would be a bad situation,it would just hover till power loss and crash[emoji43]

Pitching the camera down will make no difference, The forward observation sensors are the ones that cause the problem. They become confused by the sun and see it as an object, there is no work around i have heard off except take then sensors off. or turn round and fly backwards :) which then negates having any sensors anyway as their are none on the back.

just be as vigilant as you can and try to know the area you are in.

Reactions: Former Member
Yesterday I flew a mission about 2 miles and on my way back the sun was low in the sky. Mavic was approximatley 150' over the tallest trees, yet my Obstacle Avoidance kept kicking in and bringing me to a complete abrupt stop.
I knew what was happening because I've read about others having this problem. I kept pitching the camera down lower and lower each time, but that didn't seem to have an effect, which was odd to me. The river was on my right and the sun was almost dead ahead, about 350 degrees.
I didn't want to shut off the forward sensors because I had some obstacles coming up near home point and I just like having that extra protection.
Has anyone found a work around without disabling the sensors?
Here's frame from that flight.

View attachment 13828
Dropping the camera lower will not help as it is the two fixed forward pointing cameras (which look like the front eyes on your Mavic) which do the work. The main camera has nothing to do with it!

Great advice. LOL, I realized later that lowering the camera would make no difference because the sensors were the problem, I guess it was just a little panic knee jerk going on there. LOL
I'll calibrate the sensors, and do the same flight this evening when the sun is low. thanks.

Happens to me a lot in flat light, it's very annoying flying back from a run. I debated on shutting off the sensors but one time I was headed home and got 2 collision alarms and the second time I noticed a bird trying to take down Jenny. So sport mode and evasive measures were taken immediately. Top gun was playing in my head.

Reactions: stuart kaynes
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser