DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

From Canada to Italy and beyond

j.zaccaro

Reactions
Hello all,

Pretty new to this (drone) world and took the plunge 2 weeks ago with the Mavic Pro.
The wife and I have a trip planned to Italy from Canada the next two weeks and would like to take the drone with us however, all I've been hearing are horror stories about how people are getting their drones confiscated/seized at customs and security.
My questions to the community are:

1) will I be safe/allowed to pass through customs (at either Dorval airport in Montreal or Pearson airport in Toronto) to bring the drone into Italy ?

2) if yes, will I have to put it in my carry on and what are the best "packing" and "storing" practices I can use to minimize problems ex: checking in props instead of putting them in carry on etc. ?

3)when flying back from Italy to Canada, will I be safe/allowed to pass through Italian security and customs to bring it back into Canada ?

If it's any help, the airlines I will be taking are Air Canada and Allitalia (yes I've called them but could not get an answer).

Although I have seen some posts about flying in Italy, none of the posts really clarify bringing the drone out of Canada into Italy and vise versa.

Please feel free to offer any other advice you guys would know of!

Thanks in advance for everyone's help on such short notice!

Bonjour moi je reviens de Venise et aucun problème.
vol avec Air Canada escale à Bruxelles et star alliance pour Venise.
Pour le retour vol direct avec Air Canada jusqu'à Dorval

There is no law against bringing the drone out of Canada BUT there is against putting your LiPO batteries in checked baggage - you may carry Mavic batteries as carry-on but I don't know if there is a max number. As to bringing it into Italy, there are no issues I can find other than apparently there is a requirement for liability insurance. And of Italy has their own laws regarding the use of recreational drones.

Hello all,

Pretty new to this (drone) world and took the plunge 2 weeks ago with the Mavic Pro.
The wife and I have a trip planned to Italy from Canada the next two weeks and would like to take the drone with us however, all I've been hearing are horror stories about how people are getting their drones confiscated/seized at customs and security.
!

Kind of left it last minute eh? lol. I know some countries require operators to apply in advance for permits and such. Not sure about Italy, but I would suggest you try finding the Italian Ministry of Transport website.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3