DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FW Update .800 Things to know from testing

Cyberpower678

Reactions
Hi guys, I thought I would start a thread to help clarify some important concerns that have arisen based on the release notes. I upgraded everything and did some field tests, so hopefully this thread alleviates some concerns.

First what is being upgraded?
  • The battery (I think)
  • The Mavic
  • The RC
  • The goggles
How to upgrade:
It's easiest to just use the DJI Go 4 app. To upgrade all of your gadgets at once, turn on the goggles, Mavic, RC and connect your Go 4 app to the RC and start the upgrade. Make sure is everything charged fully, the upgrade takes a while to reach all devices. You can upgrade each device individually with DJI Assistant however.

So what how do these new safety restrictions work?
As you're well aware of, if the DJI Go 4 app isn't connected the drone will not fly very far. Those restrictions are immediately lifted as soon as the DJI Go 4 app is activated and connected, and is logged on. If you are not logged on, you need an internet connection to log on and lift the restrictions. Once lifted, they do not return until the aircraft is rebooted. So if the app disconnects, the drone will continue to function normally.

You can lift the restrictions on the craft without an internet connection if the DJI Go app is already logged on to your account. I imagine any app using the DJI SDK will work as well to lift these restrictions.

What about the NFZ update?
Once updated, the app will ask you to update the NFZ DB. It seems to actually fix some NFZ issues people have come across in the .600 and .700 FWs.

If anyone has any questions, please ask.

Seeing reports of people needing an internet connection each time. Are you seeing this?

"For increased safety..."
Nope. If the app was already logged in to your account once before, it will not need an internet connection to release the restrictions. I started the drone with flight restrictions in place, with the app disabled, switched to flight mode, connected the phone to the RC and turned the app on. The moment it connected, the restrictions were lifted.

Reactions: digdat0 and ScottW
Good to know.

Have they fixed the gimbal issues on .800? Is the horizon still off? Does the camera tilt when flying sideways? This is the main reason I will never leave .400 since all this works fine in .400.

Good to know.

Have they fixed the gimbal issues on .800? Is the horizon still off? Does the camera tilt when flying sideways? This is the main reason I will never leave .400 since all this works fine in .400.
I found that was fixed in .700. I never tested this in .800.

I found that was fixed in .700. I never tested this in .800.

It wasn't fixed on mine on .700. Also had a couple cases of the gimbal acting strange on .700. Still had to use a tilt setting of 4 on .700.

Let me know what you find on .800. Be interesting to know.

Quick observation.
Did a quick flight after upgrade and flew to 300 feet with no problem.
I logged off the dji app and still was able to fly to 300 feet.
Will test more later this afternoon.

Reactions: Pdxpaul and Shiva
It wasn't fixed on mine on .700. Also had a couple cases of the gimbal acting strange on .700. Still had to use a tilt setting of 4 on .700.

Let me know what you find on .800. Be interesting to know.
I thought you meant the gimbal tilting after yawing. If it's a constant tilt, that will never be fixed, and that is precisely what the gimbal roll adjustment is for.

Reactions: Pdxpaul and digdat0
Seeing reports of people needing an internet connection each time. Are you seeing this?

"For increased safety..."
Xman , I'm seeing reports too about the interweb connection being need too --- From what I'm seeing people that upgrade are still having False NFZ being triggered , The same as B4 if not more now --- The way I see it is if DJI couldn't make the NFZ's work B4, What makes people think it will work now how??????? I'm Tired of being DJI's Beta tester -- I just want to Fly without False Errors being triggered due to ****** programing ---- I do have other opinions about there programing However, I have tried voicing my opinions B4 and it has gotten me Banned ---- I must have hit a nerve with DJI that they don't want people to know about !!! -- The more DJI BS the more I see them putting themselves into a corner that's going to be tuff to get out of untill they start cleaning up there act .
This is my DJI Beta testing opinion

Last edited:
Quick observation.
That is exactly what I just stated above. :p

Quick observation.

The real test is when you start your next flight, still logged out on the DJI app...

As long as you were logged in at the start of the first flight it doesn't matter if you log off during the flight.

I imagine any app using the DJI SDK will work as well to lift these restrictions.

Any app using the recent 4.1 SDK should work...

If using an older app, you will need to have DJI Go logged in to lift the restrictions, then switch to the other app... (repeat after each power cycle)

The real test is when you start your next flight, still logged out on the DJI app...

As long as you were logged in at the start of the first flight it doesn't matter if you log off during the flight.
The app is always logged on the moment you type in your username and password. Once it actually validates your credentials, you can use the app without internet to lift the flight restrictions.

If you need internet connection to fly, and you cannot fly where there is a connection, this should get real interesting real fast. I find I have to drive out to the middle of nowhere to not be near some airport or helipad or whatever. And the middle of nowhere does not have internet.

Reactions: Rbruz

I landed after the first flight, turned off controller and mavic. Logged off the DJI app turned on controller and Mavic and flew to 300 feet

Reactions: Henk
If you need internet connection to fly, and you cannot fly where there is a connection, this should get real interesting real fast. I find I have to drive out to the middle of nowhere to not be near some airport or helipad or whatever. And the middle of nowhere does not have internet.

You don't. Just make sure your app is logged into your account. If you can sync flight records, you're logged. After that all you need to do is to connect any DJI app like Litchi, or the DJI Go 4 app to the RC and the restrictions get lifted.

Reactions: TTFullTimer
I landed after the first flight, turned off controller and mavic. Logged off the DJI app turned on controller and Mavic and flew to 300 feet

Good.

The main target of these changes has been the China based users, not the rest of the world.

Although they have explained it badly in the update notes it sounds like it is working as intended.

Reactions: mamayda and harryb

Try rebooting the Go 4 app. It still probably had your credentials cached somewhere.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darksebius