FYI - DJI sent out email today stating they are caught up on Mavic

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by cdronefly, Jan 4, 2017.

1. cdronefly

cdronefly Active Member

DJI sent out notices today that ALL backordered Mavics would be shipped by the end of next week and that new orders (guessing new order next week) would then be 7-10 days.

Just FYI. Your mileage may vary but I assume they stepped up production and have many thousands of the Mavics ready to go.

HeliFreak likes this.
  2. PropPilot

PropPilot Well-Known Member

They have been steadily catching up. My batteries just before Christmas shipped out in two days. For all the guys and gals hanging on to their B&H orders, Amazon orders and other shops that have been stringing them along, DJI direct is probably going to get you a drone within two weeks to your door. I am not a fanboy but I do watch all the forums and was an early October direct orderer and have seen the trends of who gets them and who doesn't. Just my 2c

JayBird likes this.
  3. digitalbar

digitalbar Member

Watch the classified prices dropppppppppp.......... Maybe

4. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ Administrator
    Staff Member

The profit market is already slumping. They will be unloading at cost soon.

5. cdronefly

cdronefly Active Member

You can buy at NewEgg with - in effect - $65 off (newegg points on flymore) - so I expect the price to come down below list very soon!
    B&H, BTW, has received their units and is busy shipping all backorders...so should just be a few days.
    One can only imagine how big some of the recent shipments are (from DJI). Gotta be 10's of thousands going out each week.

taptofocus and SteveCA like this.
  6. Starz

Starz Well-Known Member

Ordered 12/27/16. No word yet on this one. I was guessing a 6 to 8 week wait time. Maybe I'll get a surprise!

7. HeliFreak

HeliFreak Well-Known Member

People on the dji forum are livid. They are saying people who ordered 4+ weeks ago are still waiting, and are assuming new orders placed after yesterday will be filled in 7-10 days, before theirs, completely screwing 2016 pre-orders. I doubt that will happen, but they are not happy.

8. SNew76

SNew76 Well-Known Member

Maybe slightly less than cost. With the issues that have been plaguing the Mavic "jello,focus issues etc" most educated consumers would be better off going straight to DJI. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

9. Mike_Jaxson

Mike_Jaxson New Member

I was going to wait until spring because of the operating temperature being 32, then I saw so many flying in the cold. Ordered on amazon & apple on 12-22.. Checked crutchfield 1-3 and got one. It'll be here today. Canceled amazon & apple, I feel for the pre-order people.

10. HeliFreak

HeliFreak Well-Known Member

I think customers would be better off buying from an online retailer with local stores, like Best Buy, if they are worried about issues. This way they can return to an actual store for an instant refund/ possible exchange.

Supply is definitely catching up. I had 2 orders in, I was going to sell one for a minimal profit I'll be honest, but after yesterday's news, I cancelled an order. I'd suggest others who have similar plans jump ship as well.

11. SNew76

SNew76 Well-Known Member

Yea that's a good point. I just meant they'd be better off DJI than a reseller where they may have potential warranty service issues. But a retail store is an even better idea.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

12. skypros

skypros Well-Known Member

This is so interesting...... Before Christmas..... Demand, Demand, Demand.
    After Christmas..... The supply should catch up with demand..... so now Supply, Supply, Demand.

Hummmmm, why do I get the feeling that DJI had been holding back their Mavic to the public, Thus keeping a false supply and demand.

Anyways..... It is really a GOOD thing, I am happy all those that so patiently waited are finally going to get their Drone...... and we now can become a group of enthusiast and not worry about being able to get the craft or it's accessories.... and Hopefully all the 3rd party accessories will be plentiful and innovative.

Now for the next saga..... The Goggles !!! :eek:

puredata, craig25 and Mike_Jaxson like this.
  13. cdronefly

cdronefly Active Member

Occams Razor applies here.
    DJI didn't anticipate the demand.
    Customers, in an attempt to get one, ordered as many as 5 or 6 - while needing only one.
    Customers canceled orders - en masse - both for above reason and some went for P4P.
    This is just about the right amount of time (gone by) for DJI to open a complete other assembly line or factory and get all the parts together to build more.

The email said they will ship ALL backorders by the end of next week. New orders say 7-10 after confirmation, but when you figure a couple days for confirmation and then prepare and ship - I think it's realistically 3 weeks from order to receipt.

This is a good thing. It's interesting that people are complaining about it. DJI is not a foolish company and the odds of them holding back inventory...are about zero.

14. Starz

Starz Well-Known Member

Interesting to read all the different angles on this subject. A lot of different views on how people are handling this dilemma. Interesting part is, that it is basically a toy! I ordered one on 12/27/16 and I think I will get it when it gets here. Still fun to read all aspects on the forums.

halley likes this.
  15. VietVet

VietVet Active Member

Hey I'm with you about the toy part. A few weeks back I got hammered when I called it a Big Boy Toy. One guy said it was a tool, when I responded if your making money from its use yes it's a tool. He didn't respond I guess that's what he told his wife when she found out how much he spent? Dji used smart marketing and business techniques and all of us "got to have it now" jumped right in. Maybe only maybe if many, many of us started requesting refunds I wonder what the response would have been? Hope we'll all give some thought about pre-orders in the future without concrete shipping dates and heavy discounts if the shipping dates are not honored? There was a lot of other people's money held by Dji and their retailers for an awful long time without concrete shipping dates. From what's written here it's still going on?

16. PropPilot

PropPilot Well-Known Member

Bottom line. They had not idea it would be so big and they were not prepared. Point of sale systems could not handle a 'bill after you ship' as they are set up to take the order and ship. Imagine the cost to retool your POS system to handle it so yep, we were all pretty chived at our money sitting in their pockets. In the end, what they did terribly is communicate. There was a stupid email from one of their execs way back pasted to all of your orders (Adam Najberg) with nothing but lip service and zip after that. I think that is the only thing they really messed up. They could have done a few things like some store bonus credits for those that waited months etc but in the end, they are not too concerned as people are settling down very quickly after they get their (TOY : yes it is a TOY !!!) and seeing how fantastic it is. What I am watching are the threads on RMA and turn around times. Seem to be exceptional so for sure, they are all over the service side of things with REALLY matters in the end.

There is definitely a supply/demand dynamic going on however look at the publicity so the demand will ramp up again after the initial wave of demand pushed through. Heck, if I didn't want one as bad as I did on October 5th when I ordered, I certainly would by now !!!

Enjoy the toy. Fly the toy. Don't plonk the toy.

17. B'hamster

B'hamster Member

For any of you who took business 101 remember that stuff called supply and demand, I still see listings on eBay for as much as a $800 mark-up. When these drop out of the sky they still have to pay an arm and a leg in eBay & PayPal fees (ouch )!

18. Zoombee

Zoombee Member

These are the ebay break even prices for the fly less and fly more assuming no tax paid when acquired
    Fly less: $1,170
    Fly more: $1,539

Hopefully, I can sell the one extra fly more I received in the next day or two, crossing my fingers. Risky time to have an extra that's for sure. Looking for that person who doesn't want to wait 12-20 days from order to their door.

19. Starz

Starz Well-Known Member

Maybe I should think more about buying some eBay stock than I have in the past.

20. Zoombee

Zoombee Member

Nothing compared to the Amazon FBA fees I pay, around 30% of the sale price goes to amazon in one way or another. It's still worth it.