DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Galaxy Tab S2

I also emailed them. The only way I can get it to connect is if I reboot the tablet every time turn on the controller.

I have the 713 version Brand new --had the same problem finally figured out a way around the issue-

Craft off
controller off
S2 Off-Important
Plug in USB to S2 while off
Start controller
Start Craft
Turn on S2
Connected!

Bingo Works every time

Don't know what has changed but for now this works!!

Jack

I have the 713 version Brand new --had the same problem finally figured out a way around the issue-

Craft off
controller off
S2 Off-Important
Start controller
Start Craft
Turn on S2
Connected!

Bingo Works every time

Jack
Thats great for you guys with the new tabs.

that's good to know.....I wonder what will happen if the app crashes. Will you have to power cycle the tablet to get it to reconnect or just reopen the app?

I feel everyone's pain here as I am die-hard Android as well but got tired of the dance to get my tablet to work. I ended up returning it and bought a mini 2 on eBay for 160 bucks and it works flawlessly. It will be my dedicated tablet. It connects everytime, app doesn't crash. I did have to purchase litchi again but I am super happy with it. I will never buy an iPhone or Mac computer but this instance the tablet works great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

This workaround indicates that it's an issue with the usb connection. By plugging in the USB to the RC before powering on, it must skip a USB recognition step that is causing the connection problem. I've emailed DJI support and they told me to email their R&D department without giving me an email for them?????

Craft off
controller off
S2 Off-Important
Start controller
Start Craft
Turn on S2
Connected!

Bingo Works every time

Jack

To all who are using the latest version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet. I purchased this from Best Buy @ $249.99 sale price (not sure how long it lasts there - but Samsung.com is advertising thru 12/25/16). The screen is perfect for use in the sun and fits the Mavic RC perfectly.

Now my device is the T713 version and out-of-box would not connect properly to the RC. After reviewing lots of forum posts here, DJI.COM and elsewhere - it's a conflict with the new Marshmallow Android release 6.0.1 (at least) where the USB service defaults to charging only on startup. I read where you could enable Developer Options on Android and then Turn On USB debugging which allows you to select the USB mode (in this case RDNIS was what is needed - at least that works for me). Unfortunately, the mode will not persist after disconnection and must be reset and the tablet rebooted.

When I first tried this the DJI GO App 4.0 would still not connect. When I enabled the Developer Options|USB debugging I could see the mode was cycling very rapidly from charging to MTP to RDNIS and back again and again. So fast that you couldn't select the DJI GO apps startup box to default to this app on connection. The RC and Mavic would not connect in the app no matter what sequence of bootup.

What I found was the DJI USB type A to micro-usb cable was part of the problem. I used a "known working USB data cable" to connect the RC to the Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet. I used the Developer Options to select the USB mode as RDNIS - and then powered off the tablet (thus leaving it in RDNIS mode for bootup).

I then followed the sequence that Jack quotes above and everything worked - first time. You should realize there is some risk in using this method because if the USB cable is accidentally removed from the micro or Type A connnection the app will not regain connection. You will then be forced to un-cable, force the USB mode to RDNIS mode (as outlined above), power down tablet, reconnect the USB cable and power on tablet [all while your Mavic is hanging up in the air]. The other backup plan would be to have another device ready - like a phone or other tablet - for emergency reasons.

I flew 2 batteries duration flights today - with absolutely no issues - fast performance on the tablet, I also loaded the www.mobizen.com app from Google Play Store and receorded downlink video from the Mavic to the tablet and ran the screen capture recording feature of mobizen app simultaneously with no hiccups.

Just thought I would put this out there for those that might be struggling with the same issues.

Thanks Jack for outlining the sequence of power-up that worked. Hopefully Google will do something different to allow better control of the USB mode in the future - it's causing all kinds of other issues for people hooking android devices to PCs and other stuff.

appreciate the detailed write up and work around. Hoefully either Samsung/Android or DJI will find a solution to this.

To all who are using the latest version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet. I purchased this from Best Buy @ $249.99 sale price (not sure how long it lasts there - but Samsung.com is advertising thru 12/25/16). The screen is perfect for use in the sun and fits the Mavic RC perfectly.

Now my device is the T713 version and out-of-box would not connect properly to the RC. After reviewing lots of forum posts here, DJI.COM and elsewhere - it's a conflict with the new Marshmallow Android release 6.0.1 (at least) where the USB service defaults to charging only on startup. I read where you could enable Developer Options on Android and then Turn On USB debugging which allows you to select the USB mode (in this case RDNIS was what is needed - at least that works for me). Unfortunately, the mode will not persist after disconnection and must be reset and the tablet rebooted.

When I first tried this the DJI GO App 4.0 would still not connect. When I enabled the Developer Options|USB debugging I could see the mode was cycling very rapidly from charging to MTP to RDNIS and back again and again. So fast that you couldn't select the DJI GO apps startup box to default to this app on connection. The RC and Mavic would not connect in the app no matter what sequence of bootup.

What I found was the DJI USB type A to micro-usb cable was part of the problem. I used a "known working USB data cable" to connect the RC to the Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet. I used the Developer Options to select the USB mode as RDNIS - and then powered off the tablet (thus leaving it in RDNIS mode for bootup).

I then followed the sequence that Jack quotes above and everything worked - first time. You should realize there is some risk in using this method because if the USB cable is accidentally removed from the micro or Type A connnection the app will not regain connection. You will then be forced to un-cable, force the USB mode to RDNIS mode (as outlined above), power down tablet, reconnect the USB cable and power on tablet [all while your Mavic is hanging up in the air]. The other backup plan would be to have another device ready - like a phone or other tablet - for emergency reasons.

I flew 2 batteries duration flights today - with absolutely no issues - fast performance on the tablet, I also loaded the www.mobizen.com app from Google Play Store and receorded downlink video from the Mavic to the tablet and ran the screen capture recording feature of mobizen app simultaneously with no hiccups.

Just thought I would put this out there for those that might be struggling with the same issues.

Thanks Jack for outlining the sequence of power-up that worked. Hopefully Google will do something different to allow better control of the USB mode in the future - it's causing all kinds of other issues for people hooking android devices to PCs and other stuff.

GOOGLE initiated a crappy Update that totally screwed up the USB connection that used to work perfectly by dragging Notifications down and changing the Mode. They also screwed up the Google keyboard by shifting the touch target area and dropping the auto-caps on a single i. They are as bad as MS by breaking stuff that used to work under the guise that we are making it safer for you (but in reality, better tracking for them so they can hook you up to more ads). I bought a couple of Nexus 6Ps which I am always having to troubleshoot for them just for basic functions ... like making a phone call, or getting wireless to connect.

GOOGLE initiated a crappy Update that totally screwed up the USB connection that used to work perfectly by dragging Notifications down and changing the Mode. They also screwed up the Google keyboard by shifting the touch target area and dropping the auto-caps on a single i. They are as bad as MS by breaking stuff that used to work under the guise that we are making it safer for you (but in reality, better tracking for them so they can hook you up to more ads). I bought a couple of Nexus 6Ps which I am always having to troubleshoot for them just for basic functions ... like making a phone call, or getting wireless to connect.

Absolutely true.

I would also note that you could install a Custom ROM on the Galaxy S2 tablet and put it back to the Lollipop versions and it will work fine - although potentially voiding your warranty.

That's why some people are saying "my Galaxy S2 tablet works fine" - they may not be on the Marshmallow release (yet). If they ever update - they'll begin experiencing problems seemingly out of the blue.

I have a Nexus 2013 that works pretty well with the Mavic also - but it doesn't have enough horsepower to handle video caching and Mobizen recording simultaneously. I do keep it as a backup as I outlined before. Battery life is Excellent on both devices - easily will out last the RC time in all cases.

I've been using Jack's start-up sequence and it's been working great. My S2 is used only for the Mavic so there is nothing else on it and boot up only takes about 30 seconds. It also reminds me to shut down the S2 after each flight so the battery stays fresh.

I bought a matte screen protector for it and while it reduces glare well, it also degrades the image quality considerably. Anyone else using a matte screen protector they would recommend?

I have a larger Samsung galaxy tab s can you see the old screen better with the sun out.

I also emailed them. The only way I can get it to connect is if I reboot the tablet every time turn on the controller.
After wasting days trying to get mine to work, I broke down and bought my first Apple product. Ipad Mini 4.
Hate to say it but the resolution is great, it's fast and it worked the first time I plugged it in. Very nice!

Running 8" Tab S2 710 on Lollipop 5.1.1. with zero issues.. worked out of the box.. turned off automatic updates to avoid Marshmallow issues using Litchi and DJI GO on the same device..

I keep seeing a lot of people having good luck with the tab s2 (8") so I bought one and I've been working all day to get the controller and the tablet to connect with each other. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I tried using different cables, I tried taking the wifi off, turning debugging on, uninstalling dji go 4 and reinstalling it. Is there a process I'm not following correctly or something????
It works fine with my galaxy note 3.
Please help!
I have the same problem I do not work on the Samsung tab2 and nonlo understand it blinks and will not let me select have you already got it done it works?[emoji20] [emoji20] [emoji20] [emoji20]

Sent from my SM-G930F using MavicPilots mobile app

On Dec 27th I bought a Samsung Tab S2 (6.0.1), model T710. I'm using DJI GO 4 App, without any issues.

If you follow crusinforgold's excellent detailed description 1) "enable Developer Options on Android and then Turn On USB debugging", 2) Then select "the Developer Options to select the USB mode as RDNIS - and then powered off the tablet (thus leaving it in RDNIS mode for bootup)". 3) Then Jack Hanoka's step by step "Craft off, controller off, S2 Off-Important"...etc., you should be good to go.

I also plan (once it stops snowing) to Bluetooth tether my S2 to my LG3 phone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR