DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Galaxy Tab S2

Tried flying the Mavic in WIFI mode yesterday first time with Galaxy Tab S2 9,7".
Worked perfectly and better than expected. Even exact positioning the Mavic to the centre of my landing pad was no problem, using the onscreen joysticks. Much better feeling than using the phone.

Reactions: grizzard
After waiting a couple of months for ship dates to become reasonable and another 2 weeks for my Fly More package to arrive, I FINALLY have my Mavic. One of the batteries is DOA, and it's taken a couple of days to get my Galaxy S2 (with the new OS that screws up USB communication with the controller) to talk to my controller/aircraft. Thanks to the suggestions on the Forum for the sequence for startup procedures, it appears that "all systems are go", except for the 20 MPH winds and unseasonably warm temperatures that have turned 2 feet of snow into slop.
It looks like the next weather window isn't for 3 more days, but I guess I can read the manual again and watch more tutorials...............

After waiting a couple of months for ship dates to become reasonable and another 2 weeks for my Fly More package to arrive, I FINALLY have my Mavic. One of the batteries is DOA, and it's taken a couple of days to get my Galaxy S2 (with the new OS that screws up USB communication with the controller) to talk to my controller/aircraft. Thanks to the suggestions on the Forum for the sequence for startup procedures, it appears that "all systems are go", except for the 20 MPH winds and unseasonably warm temperatures that have turned 2 feet of snow into slop.
It looks like the next weather window isn't for 3 more days, but I guess I can read the manual again and watch more tutorials...............
Understand the weather ... just don't get in a hurry. I tried Active Track - Trace and Profile today with about the same wind and I find the Mavic loses it's target pretty easily as the wind accelerates the drone and it can't turn fast enough to track. However .... that could be also that I've set much of the motion to "slow settings" too. Once it drifted pretty close to a telephone pole.. Scary ..

I have the 713 version Brand new --had the same problem finally figured out a way around the issue-

Craft off
controller off
S2 Off-Important
Plug in USB to S2 while off
Start controller
Start Craft
Turn on S2
Connected!

Bingo Works every time

Don't know what has changed but for now this works!!

Jack
Thanks Jack! I have a 713 and YOU found the way to make it work.

Did someone have an "aircraft disconnected" with this device? It happened to me today. Restarted the app and nothing, restarted the tablet and nothing. The MP was close so I used the RC and landed. Then I followed the steps pointed out here and worked again but I switched to my One plus 3t (I've had 2 crashes with this phone in 3weeks but I open the app and everything works again).

It was my 5th battery with the S2. No app crashes and everything smooth until this incident. I hope it gets fixed.

Did someone have an "aircraft disconnected" with this device? It happened to me today. Restarted the app and nothing, restarted the tablet and nothing. The MP was close so I used the RC and landed. Then I followed the steps pointed out here and worked again but I switched to my One plus 3t (I've had 2 crashes with this phone in 3weeks but I open the app and everything works again).

It was my 5th battery with the S2. No app crashes and everything smooth until this incident. I hope it gets fixed.
Hi... I too have a one plus 3t, and only one flight (which went well in beginner mode) but am now worried re your post! Was the app crashing on you with this phone?

Hi... I too have a one plus 3t, and only one flight (which went well in beginner mode) but am now worried re your post! Was the app crashing on you with this phone?
Hi, if you read this forum or the Google Play comments you'll find out that having a couple of crashes in 3 weeks is like having the best phone (or luck) in the world.
Don't panic if this happens to you. Open the app again and you should be fine.
It seems that the DJI app is stable on iOS devices but with Android is a mess.

Reactions: Goose48
I wouldn't say ios is prefect either. I've had an occasional problem with my mini 4 detecting the USB link to the remote. Usually fixed by restarting the app or unplugging/plugging the usb. The difference being my tab 713 has to be rebooted.

Reactions: Goose48
To all who are using the latest version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet. I purchased this from Best Buy @ $249.99 sale price (not sure how long it lasts there - but Samsung.com is advertising thru 12/25/16). The screen is perfect for use in the sun and fits the Mavic RC perfectly.

Now my device is the T713 version and out-of-box would not connect properly to the RC. After reviewing lots of forum posts here, DJI.COM and elsewhere - it's a conflict with the new Marshmallow Android release 6.0.1 (at least) where the USB service defaults to charging only on startup. I read where you could enable Developer Options on Android and then Turn On USB debugging which allows you to select the USB mode (in this case RDNIS was what is needed - at least that works for me). Unfortunately, the mode will not persist after disconnection and must be reset and the tablet rebooted.

When I first tried this the DJI GO App 4.0 would still not connect. When I enabled the Developer Options|USB debugging I could see the mode was cycling very rapidly from charging to MTP to RDNIS and back again and again. So fast that you couldn't select the DJI GO apps startup box to default to this app on connection. The RC and Mavic would not connect in the app no matter what sequence of bootup.

What I found was the DJI USB type A to micro-usb cable was part of the problem. I used a "known working USB data cable" to connect the RC to the Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet. I used the Developer Options to select the USB mode as RDNIS - and then powered off the tablet (thus leaving it in RDNIS mode for bootup).

I then followed the sequence that Jack quotes above and everything worked - first time. You should realize there is some risk in using this method because if the USB cable is accidentally removed from the micro or Type A connnection the app will not regain connection. You will then be forced to un-cable, force the USB mode to RDNIS mode (as outlined above), power down tablet, reconnect the USB cable and power on tablet [all while your Mavic is hanging up in the air]. The other backup plan would be to have another device ready - like a phone or other tablet - for emergency reasons.

I flew 2 batteries duration flights today - with absolutely no issues - fast performance on the tablet, I also loaded the www.mobizen.com app from Google Play Store and receorded downlink video from the Mavic to the tablet and ran the screen capture recording feature of mobizen app simultaneously with no hiccups.

Just thought I would put this out there for those that might be struggling with the same issues.

Thanks Jack for outlining the sequence of power-up that worked. Hopefully Google will do something different to allow better control of the USB mode in the future - it's causing all kinds of other issues for people hooking android devices to PCs and other stuff.
How do you get to the options to change the USB setting?

Has anyone updated to Nougat yet to see if it's resolved the issues?
I've just updated to Nougat and the connectivity issues still persist. I have to restart the tablet in order to see the little green dot on the DJI go app. So if the app crashes or you disconnect the cable you have to restart the tablet. My model is SM-T813.

Reactions: GP-Mavic
I've just updated to Nougat and the connectivity issues still persist. I have to restart the tablet in order to see the little green dot on the DJI go app. So if the app crashes or you disconnect the cable you have to restart the tablet. My model is SM-T813.
I have the SM-T818V model. I wanted a tablet that would have data to use in the field.

After reading through all of your post, I was able to get my Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T350 running Android 6.0.1 to finally work with the latest DJI Go 4 app v4.06. Thanks to all and the OP! The following post including quoted text was extremely helpful.

Galaxy Tab S2

Absolutely do not use the DJI supplied cable with Type A and micro USB ends - for some reason it doesn't work with the Galaxy S2 tablet (although it does work for my Nexus 2013 and my Galaxy S7 phone).

You must use a "verified USB data cable" to make this work.
I've bought the following
Amazon.com: (2-PACKMicro to USB Cable,USB 2.0 Male to Micro USB 5 Pin Male Left & Right Angled 90 Degree Data Sync Cable Cord For Android, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Blackberry Smartphones, Tablets(MIRCO,L-R): Cell Phones & Accessories

and can now attest it works perfectly with the Galaxy S2 tablet and the RC and is compact with the correct angles to minimize any interference to handling.
This did not work for me, waste of 12 bucks :( And extremely frustrating that this tablet doesn't just work. Looks like it's time to figure out how to root it and throw a different 5.00 rom on it.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout