DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gesture mode - additional features

Egika

Reactions
Tried to find some more in depth information on the gesture mode.
I think I understood the basic function.
Here's some questions:
  • If I move around after doing the Y signal: Does the Mavic actively follow me like in Active Track?
    Which movements whould it do?
  • The manual mentions additional following accuracy if the mobile has a good GPS reception itself.
    The only video I saw a hint to this is this German one at 1:55min
    Can someone elaborate more on what exactly it does if I switch this on?
  • Are other gestures supported to control the flight? Like going up/down closer/further with gestures?

Thanks!

Last edited:
basically, the gesture mode is intended for nice sky selfies. The main difficulty i found with it is that you need to be up close for nice aerial shots, so it can be a bit dangerous

Y lets the drone identify you and start following you around, so you can essentially leave your controller somewhere or hide it away so it is out of sight. Now that it's following you, you can make the photo shape with your hands and when it recognizes that shape, it will give you a 3 second delay and then a shot. Imagine going up a hill and taking a nice aerial selfie with that mode.

I don't think there are any additional gestures, although it could be a nice thing to make a gesture to have it circle you or start a video shot, but I'm not aware of any additional gesture cues.

I was able to make Gesture mode work in previous versions of the firmware, but after upgrading to the most recent version, it no longer will work or me. I can get it to lock onto me, but it does not seem to respond to the photo sign. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I find gesture mode works best when the mavic is on wifi, it's for quick selfie type of shots. but the active track of the gesture more can get disoriented sometimes so just make sure the sky is clear within 15 ft in all directions

I find gesture mode works best when the mavic is on wifi, it's for quick selfie type of shots. but the active track of the gesture more can get disoriented sometimes so just make sure the sky is clear within 15 ft in all directions
In what part does it work better using WiFi than the controller?

Any explanation of the benefits one would get from using the phone's GPS?
Is it a combined active track/follow me mode in this case??

In what part does it work better using WiFi than the controller?

Any explanation of the benefits one would get from using the phone's GPS?
Is it a combined active track/follow me mode in this case??

It doesn't work "better," it's more of a convenience thing, the only reason I would use gestures is to quickly throw it up in the air without having to unfold the RC, connect my phone, etc. The Y gesture is basically the active track, but as mentioned before if it loses you similar to how it does with the RC connection it will jitter around trying to find you again, which I had it almost flown into a pole. YMMV

OK. Thanks for clarifying.

Still noone seems to have a clue of which addition function the phone's GPS provides or how the Mavic behaves when using it...?

I was able to make Gesture mode work in previous versions of the firmware, but after upgrading to the most recent version, it no longer will work or me. I can get it to lock onto me, but it does not seem to respond to the photo sign. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Make sure you are in photo mode. If set to video it will just follow you but not take pictures...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada