DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal came off post crash

Alex El Caballo

Reactions
Hi there,
So i was flying slowly and ran into a branch and joked my mavic down.
The gimbal came off with 3 of the rubber mounts.
I don't have the time to send away.
Can i put it back and hope it did not cause any damage?
Any tips on how to re-mount it?
Help pleaseee...
a9aca8c4195b7898324b246c7dd91c28.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Squamer
Well...
I got the gimbal on but i screwed something up.
It warns of overloaded motor.
The gimbal wont move at all.
All ribbons appear intact and the connecting wires as well.

Yeah...
The gimbal is attached to the back plate and the mounts securely...
I had seen that thread before so I remembered the position of the gimbal.
I think this is beyond my scope of practice.

Yeah...
The gimbal is attached to the back plate and the mounts securely...
I had seen that thread before so I remembered the position of the gimbal.
I think this is beyond my scope of practice.

I also had the gimbal overload message.. for me, it was a small ribbon cable pictured below...
your gonna have to send the drone in i'm afraid.

OvUgkmU.jpg

Yes the one in LA is a officially own repair shop. That building is there only physical presence in the United States .

They basically Take spare drones and send any defect back to China but the customer gets a new drown as if it was repaired regardless.

Labor and parts are much cheaper in China. The guys in the LA office are basically appraisers and they collect invoices based on what it would take to repair it.

The gimbal once placed back on its mounts and back clip...

Attachments

• 100200ykv00zeho4x9a44h.jpg
    100200ykv00zeho4x9a44h.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 100055aqgkq9ghhggk07k7.jpg
    100055aqgkq9ghhggk07k7.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 100142zuidu199r19acar7.jpg
    100142zuidu199r19acar7.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 177
So the latest on my poor bird....
@Bluebird reached out to me and is giving me a hand with getting this gimbal up and running.
I am so grateful for the forums and the knowledgeable and kind people who continue to inform us and give us words of advice in how to fly and take care of these complex machines that bring so much pleasure and ability to document our adventures.
thanks again for your help Bluebird and all of you who continue to educate me in this great hobby!

So the latest on my poor bird....
@Bluebird reached out to me and is giving me a hand with getting this gimbal up and running.
I am so grateful for the forums and the knowledgeable and kind people who continue to inform us and give us words of advice in how to fly and take care of these complex machines that bring so much pleasure and ability to document our adventures.
thanks again for your help Bluebird and all of you who continue to educate me in this great hobby!

any documentation on gimbal repair should be shared.. if he's giving you some knowledge on the subject, please share it.

all of the coverage so far is aircraft repairs... the gimbal is the most common cause of failure on these mavics.. we need more info!

Ok, here we go. Alex brought me his bird in hopes of having it for a upcoming trip. I know how much we want to take our birds along where ever we go.
After doing a visual inspection with gimbal attached I noticed what appeared to be just the primary ribbon cable unplugged or pulled out. I called him and said just that. After going further and removing the gimbal, I found that the ribbon cable had been severed at the joint just above the pitch motor.

am3.jpg

am1.jpg

am2.jpg

The white indicator line on the ribbon cable usually is a connection point.
However not in this case. It appears that DJI has made the indicator line on the Mavics ribbon as a turning point rather than a connection to plug.
This cannot be repaired with out a new ribbon cable.

Fortunately, Alex purchased DJI care. He will have to return it to DJI for replacement. I gave it my best shot, however without having the part, there was nothing I could do to get it up and flying before his trip. I did offer him a deal on a P3S just in case he just needed something to take with him while his Mavic is being repaired or replaced by DJI.
Hopefully more parts will be available for the Mavic soon!
Blue Bird...

I picked up the mavic from Bluebird after his evaluation of the gimbal the bird was overnighted to DJI in California.
DJI care has been activated after making sure the paperwork was done and flight logs were synced to the cloud.
The overnight was a bit expensive but that was the only way that i could roll the dice that I could hopefully get a quick turnaround on a new or fixed craft to take on vacation.
Thanks again Bluebird. I appreciate the assistance...

Reactions: Drone Master
Is it just me, or does this flimsy ribbon cable seem to be in need of some sort of strengthening or protection? I get it that it needs to be flexible and lightweight, but if it just had only a little bit of snap/pull protection...then maybe some of these "minor" oopsies might not result in so many repair cases and might be able to simply remount the gimbal in the bird.

Well, to be honest this was a significant fall.
From what I saw on the flight logs it was from about 89 feet.
But yes, if those ribbons could be strengthened I am sure it would benefit the gimbal from a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

It would be great if DJI had added just a little more length to the ribbon cable for just this sort of issue. Or like Alex said, beefed up the cable for such crashes. Unfortunately, This is not part of DJI's engineering and innovation protocol. We get what we get and deal with it. All I can say is if your gimbal is thrown from the aircraft, then most likely that ribbon cable is damaged beyond quick repair and will have to be sent to DJI as of this post date.
I am currently searching for the ribbon cable and will let all of you know when I find it for retail.
BB..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu